1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help getting a recording setup..

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groooooove, Apr 13, 2009.

1. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my band has been recording everything into a mixer live to one track in garageband.. overdubbing vocals. it comes out sounding..err.. better than just the old zoom H2, but still not that great quality. being a jamband, we dont want to play each track one at a time to overdub each instrument. im looking to upgrade our recording.. this is where the trouble starts.

the computer weve been using is a new macbook, without the firewire. if i was to just get an interface so i could record everything to its own track, the only one that i could use is the one tascam USB model with 8 inputs. ive gotten mixed reviews on that, and im not sure exactly how bad USB interfaces actually are for recording live jams (audiophiles laugh at the idea, other people say theres barely a difference. who to believe..?)

and the other option is to just grab a used hard disc recorder, or some kind of multitrack recorder. the up side of this is being able to record gigs with better results, the bad side is re learning how to use an entire system. a friend has a roland VS 890 he can sell us on the cheap, too... id probobly be fine learning how to use it with the manual, but dont want to start learning halfway through recording an album..

so in short, should i stick with garageband (i know my way around it pretty well at this point.) and just use a USB interface, or get an all in one digital recording system?

any advice appreciated, especially if youve used either of the devices i mentioned..

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
  3. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    If it's a brand new MacBook, maybe you can return it for one of the previous gen MacBooks with firewire. Or you could upgrade to a MacBook Pro since they have FW ports. Then you could use an Apogee Ensemble which has eight analog inputs, four of which have mic preamps; they sound very, very good.

Disclaimer: I work for an Apogee dealer.

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i dont want to buy another computer, although i considered it. ive had it since december.. i dont think im able to return it to apple. im still thinking this over, and cant come up with a solution. it would make sence to keep using garageband since im used to it, but cant seem to find any info about any USB interfaces that can record the whole band live. these recordings dont by any means need to be top notch, but itd be nice to make them sound more..full. when you a/b it with "real" recordings it sounds like all there is is midrange..the lows arent deep, and the highs sound muffled..