1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help getting my sound right.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kurotenshi, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Jun 27, 2009
    Amadora, Portugal
    SourceAudio Endorser
    Hi everyone,

I recentlly bought an Ashdown Little giant 1000 head to complete my rig that now consists of a yamaha BBG5S bass (active alder body maple neck) with Dean Markley Blue Steels, Behringer Bass V-amp Pro, Ashdown Little Giant 1000 and Warwick WCA 211 Pro Cab.
    I used to take the Bass V-Amp to the rehearsal, connect it to the FX return of whatever head they had and usually didn't have much trouble getting a good sound. Either used the SVT ou 70's Marshall emulation. But now since I have a small, light head I thought I would give it a try and use just the Little giant.
    So I made some experiments at home and got some not so bad results. In the studio I hooked the bass straight into the head and then to a Warwick WCA 411 pro (the 4x10 sister of the one I have at home). It was hell... I had no body at all, I tried EQing but either got rumble with no definition or lots of definition in the low notes but no body and to much treble.
    Plus, I took a distortion pedal, that worked well at home, but in the studio the sound was terrible, again no body at all.
    So I come here in search of insight into what is going on and some help in solving it. Am I just too green using the EQ on the amp? Is it that I just too used to the Bass v-amp sound? Or is it that the emulation (good or bad i'm not gonna go into that argument) is giving enough "Tube Magic" to make the sound fuller? I will be changing from Blue steels to Dunlop nickel soon (wanted to try the dunlops since I loved them on my guitar) will that make enough of a difference to, at least, help? Since the sound at home was kind of cool and the cabs are similar might it be a problem with the cab in the studio?

This looks like a completely noob question but this never happened to me before, usually I get an acceptable sound pretty fast and I just got lost with this. Any help, comment will be appreciated.

To finish, I play in a cover band with mostly rock stuff but I intend to use the same gear in a metal band but lack of body and punch will still be a problem.

EDIT: Maybe not the right place to post this, will happily change if moderators think it's best.