Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help getting to sleep

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 26, 2003.

1. As the school year is coming up, I'm starting to head to bed earlier and earlier, but as hard as I try, i can't get to sleep. I'm trying to go to sleep, but I just can't do it. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    if you have a cd you know all the words to and know every thing there is to know about the music. the music will drown out the rest of the world around you(even if theres nothing going on)and act as a barrior between the to and sence you know all the music there will be no suprises.

you fall asleep with out even know your tired

this happens to me all the time when im laying on my bed listeing to staind, ill fall asleep with out even being tired

good luck man

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Beat yourself with a bat.

Or, just be more active, do some exercising. Do things during the day that would make you tired at the end of the day.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Try to get some exercise - doesn't haveto be running marathons or anything.

Also, before you go to bed, try some warm milk and honey - usually does the trick for me. Alternatively some malty drink - do you guys have Horlicks over there, this is also good.

5. Smoke weed.. :rolleyes:

Try reading in bed... and i dont mean magazines, but its a start.

:D:D

Merls

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    physical exercise (like johnny said)

develop a "ritual", try going to bed at the same time every night, e.g. play soft music or an audiobook at low volume

make sure you're not too warm, use a lighter blanket if necessary

provide good ventilation in your bedroom (window)

7. simple enough solution: get up earlier. if you are goin to bed early but sleeping till 11 or 12 then thats the problem. try setting your alarm clock for 8 or 9, then by about 10 or 11 pm you should be plenty tired and goin to sleep will be easy.

8. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Just stay up all night 3 days or so before school. Then next day go to bed at 8 or 9 and set your alarm for 8 the next morning. Problem solved!

9. Well, there are 2 things.

One, listen to a cd, about a half an hour into it you will get very tired and fall asleep.

Two, you can try spanking the monkey. It may sound, well just not right. But it makes you tired, and you will fall asleep happy.

10. :p that was the funniest thing i've read in a while

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, if you're getting up at a normal time (i.e. 8:00 or 9:00 a.m.), then maybe you just dont need as much sleep as most people. I only need about 5 hours of sleep to last me through a full day.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hot shower warm milk and readin.

if that doesnt work (insert masterbatory comment here)

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    go to sleep whenever you feel tired, and when the time comes for ya to get up at 6:00, you'll be dead tired much earlier than before. your body and mind will go into chaos for the first few days, but hey, it'll keep you on your toes.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I listen to music to fall asleep. Usully Tool or APC.

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Other than the view of 'go to sleep when your tired', try watching your tv on a hgher than normal brightness whilst in bed, that should tire you out.

Just adjust with the school cycle, chances are the first few days, possibly weeks will be worthless anyway.

16. or make you go blind :smug:

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You know, that if you masturbate before you go to bed, it lessens your chances of having a lucid dream. So I wouldn't do that if I were you.

warm milk, I've heard that a lot, worth a shot, though I've been taught, that you ought, to give it thought, because it may not, help your situation :p

honestly, most rock music makes me sleepy, when I listen to downtempo stuff, It doesn't really affect me, APC always put me to sleep.

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    tool would put anyone to sleep. ;)

19. :mad: :mad: :mad: :spit:

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Boy, a lot of people recommending music -I can NOT go to sleep with any kind of music or distraction (TV - people talking, etc) I'm sure that music doesn't work for everybody. I recommend a dark, quiet room at a comfortable temperature - cooler is better. If you can hear any kind of sound, I would recommend covering the sound with white noise - I sometimes turn on a loud fan next to my bed just for the white noise. Setting an alarm and getting up earlier is a good idea. The exercise suggestions are good, but remember that you exercise earlier in the day, not when it's getting close to bed time or you'll get a burst of energy from your work out and it'll keep you up later. And I say good for you for getting yourself used to your school year schedule before school starts - that is a better idea than just suffering when school comes and you have to adjust.