1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help! Good 6 string bass under $1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanchjoh14, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sanchjoh14

Sanchjoh14

Mar 23, 2011
    Guys of the TalkBass community,
    I want to get a good 6 string bass under $1200. But I don't know what's good. I like a really slappy, jazzy tone. Please help!! Thanks!

2. Sanchjoh14

Sanchjoh14

Mar 23, 2011
    (By guys I mean everybody)

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Carvin, best value, period.

4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Even though I got sick of some of the quirks after a few years I played a Washburn Bantam 6 for years. The only 3 complaints I have now are:

1) It was heavy compared to my Steve Bailey Jazz Bass.

2) It Seemed like I had to replace the output jack every year around tax time.

3) The bridge was badly designed. I had to replace strings one at a time rather then take them all off and replace them or they wouldn't be in the right place whe I finished.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

5. Carvin LB76

All you'll ever need and for a great price. Got mine used with some wear for $400. Plays amazing. Have it tuned E-F and I couldn't be happier.

6. Ditto

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    You could likely get 2 Carvin 6'ers for 1200 if you look around, wheel and deal a bit. I also was very impressed by the MTD Kingston 6s I've played.

8. stodgers

stodgers

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus, MT
    I think you've gotten some good recommendations here, but I have a Raines sixer up for sale for only $400. It's not hard to find a good deal on TB. :)

There have also been a couple Ernie Balls in that general range. The Bongo is a sweet bass.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Carvin is a good deal used. They can be heavy though.

10. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Peavey Cirrus 6 (Used US) can't beat the tone and feel
    MTD KZ6
    Yamaha TRB6 (Used) If you like wide spacing

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

My Carvin LB76 is swamp ash, it weighs less than most basses and some guitars (like a Les Paul).

Weight was a big factor for me so I did a lot of research, the LB76 weighs around 10lbs when you make the body out of walnut. If you go under the specs page it will tell you the weight and what the sample is made out of, I could be wrong on the wood type.

If you want heavy, get an Ibanez BTB, my 676 weighs at least 12lbs, probably closer to 13-14, it is the reason weight was a factor when I built my Carvin. Great bass though aside from the weight, if your just checking out brands I would look at BTB 6ers but not SR.

There is a reason Carvin has been mentioned this much so fast though, their B is top shelf. I used to not think twice about the B string, but once you start comparing them you really notice how different each B string is. Carvin also uses a tight string spacing (16.5mm) so that might be a deal breaker for you. Some folks insist on 18-19mm.

12. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    Ibanez BTB 1206 prestige used
    You might be able to find a used Warwick 6 for around that price too. I got a Thumb 6 BN BO for around that price, but those are not for everyone.

13. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Aug 18, 2008
    So you're saying that the washburn was piece if s***? You can't seriously recommend washburn bantam if the quality is like that if the OP has 1200$ to spent to the sixer. You could get ibanez gvb36. I have never played one but have heard nothing but good about them. Tight string spacing on those though.

14. My LB76 weighs about the same or alittle less than my ibanez SRX 5. I could be crazy though....

15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    LB76 weight... I've owned several of these, and the ones I've come across have all been relatively lighweight for a 6. All were in the 9-9.5 range.

I ditto the the recommendation as well; a used LB76 is one of the best bang-for-the-buck 6'ers out there. Probably why I keep buying them :). I've seen a couple of clunkers, but most are outstanding.

That said, I wouldn't say they are particularly good slappers, which was one of the OPs criteria.

/rick

16. xed

xed

Dec 8, 2007
    Coastal NC, USA
    ditto most of the above...

Carvin LB76 or an older yamaha TRB6

Both choices should allow for you to get a high quality instrument for possibly well under your $1200 budget.

17. musicianary

musicianary

Jun 23, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    They're super hard to find, but an Ibanez SR1306 would be my choice hands down. Fast Ibanez neck, and the tone is phenomenal. I've seen one used for $600.

And good luck hunting!

18. musicianary

musicianary

Jun 23, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Speaking of which.. One just popped up on the bass guitar classifieds on here. $775.

19. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    carvin,or you could also check out spector.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Need help! Good 6 string bass under $1200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBANEZ