Need help here.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StarchMan, Nov 5, 2003.

1. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I have an Ampeg V4-BH and a Classic 1x15 cab. I'm happy with the sound, but I'm thinking I need another cabinet to go with it. Would that increase the volume a bit and give it more clarity and add some variety on the tone?
    I'm just looking at a jam situation here, against a 50 watt all tube Marshall JCM 800 2204 through a 4x12.
    Obviously, I'm pushing 8 ohms and he's pushing 4.
    Any suggestions? I have the money for another cab, so I considered these options IF you think I should get another cab and it's worth it.
    The Classic Series 210, 410HE.
    Or should I just try to sell the 1x15 and get a 410HLF?
    Selling it would lose a lot of money.
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the 2x10 might be go 4x10..but you have to think about moving it..witht he 1x15

3. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Moving things is no problem. My family has a "soccer mom" van haha.
    But I mean, the fact that the head is 100 watts all tube and the rating with the second cab would make it 400-600 watts RMS.
    I dunno, would it push more air and be louder? I'm assuming that changing from 8ohms to 4ohms would make a nice difference.
  4. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Guitar 4x12 cabinets tend to be very efficient.
    It does not take very much power for the cabinet to get really loud.
    Chances are your 1x15 cab is nowhere near as efficient as his 4x12 cab. If you add another cabinet, try to find an efficient cabinet so you won't need as much power to get the same volume.

If you are using only a single 15 cabinet, the guitarist has more speaker cone area than you do.
    You probably need more speaker cone area than he does as you produce lower notes that require more air to be moved. To move more air, you need either more speaker cone area or more power (maybe even both).
  5. DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    I run the exact same setup as you are right now (amp/cabinetwise). A V4-Bh head into the classic 15. The first thing I would suggest if you havn't already done it already is to tilt the cabinet back. I bought one of those little $20 amp stands that gets the cabinet up off the floor about a foot and then tilts it back. Before getting the stand just prop up the cabinet at one of your practices and see what you think. For me it projects ALOT better. It definetely sounds louder than the same cabinet (SVT-15e) and the SVT-210he classic cabinet sitting on top of it (nothing tilted).....With your guitarist's setup, this still may not be enough of a change to compete with that. I think I am the minority here on TB but I really like the sound of a 115 classic cabinet with no tweeter matched with this head. If I needed more volume I would consider getting another Classic 15. I think the original cabinets that was used with the older version of the v4bh (still 100 watts), was a 215 (no tweeter). One really nice thing about this head, probably any tube head, is the fact that running a cab that is 8 ohms sounds good! Back in my solid state days, the 4 ohm cabinets always sounded better than the 8 ohm cabinets because the lower ohm load would drive the solid state amp harder. Your solid state amp head will have more wattage available when you drop the ohm load like that, but not on the v4bh. You got 100 watts RMS whether on 8 ohms or 4 ohms. Don't know how your bass is but with mine, it really makes a difference in "cutting through" by turning up my mids on my bass(which is centered at 800 hz),....of course this mid boost really will vary tremendously from one bass to another but with mine, its huge as far as getting this setup to really cut through the mix,...I also have the presence boost on the back of the head depressed (on) and the treble/high boost on the front on. Eq wise I use the "rock" setting in the manual and I set the drive and master to where the preamp stages is slightly dirty and also the power amp stage is starting to clip. I know I am getting off your original focus here but I have found that EQ makes such a huge difference with this amp cutting through or not when things get loud. I guess you just got to rely a little more on the EQs of the bass and head with getting the right amount of everything since you are limited a bit with wattage and you simply just can't crank the volume but so far before it just distorts too much and becomes mush.

hope this helps some or at least gets you thinking,,...

take care