1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help. How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HiFi, Aug 1, 2007.


  1. HiFi

    HiFi

    Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    Just over a month ago I sold a bass here on the TB forums. Upon arrival, the buyer raised some concerns as to the description of the bass, which were somewhat justified. I then offered a full refund or partial refund depending on what he felt he wanted to do. I heard no response and no complaints about the bass otherwise or afterwards.

    Over a month has gone by and the buyer of that bass has purchased a new bass and attempted to sell the bass he pruchased from me. The same concerns were raised by the new potential buyer and the sale fell through on that one.

    The buyer of the bass has now asked for a full refund a month after purchase and having never responded to my original offer of full or partial refund at the time of sale.

    After a month--well, after a couple weeks, but anyway--I had moved on, expecting the issue was no longer an issue. I hadn't budgeted this refund at this time, among other things, so I'm wondering what you would do in my position?

    I want to help out the buyer in anyway I can, and want to do what the general consensus sees as the best option in fairness to all parties. I also wouldn't hesitate to deal with this TBer again, but I'm trying to find a workable situation.

    Thanks for any and all help.
     
  2. Marlat

    Marlat

    Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Legally speaking you are on pretty solid ground I think. His acquiesence as to your offer and attempt to sell after your offer seems fairly clear that your offer was rejected.

    However, if you want to help him out its up to you. Maybe you could agree to buy it back off him at a slightly reduced price because he has had it for a month - call it a loan fee.

    It seems pretty unreasonable for him to ask for a refund after a month. Basically, if he knew about the issues on receipt and you communicated an offer of compromise, he could have taken it up then. He is the one abusing your kindness in this situation (assuming you didn't flat out lie about the condition of the bass).
     
  3. HiFi

    HiFi

    Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    The bass was listed as 'MIJ' which is what was told to me by the reputable TBer I purchased it from. There are certain signs of wear and indications suggesting it may not be entirely MIJ, which is why I offered the refund/partial refund at that time.
     
  4. Marlat

    Marlat

    Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Should you have been aware that it wasn't MIJ?
     
  5. Joe Nerve

    Joe Nerve Supporting Member

    Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Tough call. I think I'm in agreement with Mark's suggestions. I would put it out there to the guy and say, "hey, your not accepting my offer and then trying to sell it told me you decided it was yours. you can't sell someone else's property."

    If not that, then I'd consider offering the guy $20 to just forget the whole thing. I don't know much about the differences in japanese and mexican made fenders - but I don't think it should be that big a deal. With shipping charges and all the hassle I think you'd win just squashing it for another $20.

    Just realized that your best bet is probably to get enough people to agree here that he blew it, and just send him a link to this thread. :)

    Ya might wanna post more details, perhaps your original ad for the bass, his ad for the bass, etc. to keep this thread interesting and get more responses.

    Also - what IS the deal with it being Japanese? Is that a good thing? Do people think that's better than other imports. I'm curious now.
     
  6. HiFi

    HiFi

    Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    The signs were there, apparently, but they were not entirely obvious. I didn't take apart the bass and dig around to find information on it, but I possibly made the mistake of trusting somone--who I'd always felt was very trustworthy.
     
  7. HiFi

    HiFi

    Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    Japanese quality on Fenders is generally considered near par with MIA stuff, at least from what I know.

    I'm trying to resolve this matter behind the scenes for the moment, but I have offered a good deal more to resolve this than the $20 you suggested. :)
     
  8. Marlat

    Marlat

    Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I guess the point is that if you acted in good faith in selling the bass as a MIJ and it turned out to be a MIM then you should be okay.

    However, if you turned a blind eye to the possibility that it was a MIM (ie you suspected but didn't bother to find out) or, worse, if you knew, then you are probably in the wrong.

    It really comes down to this - if you think you did everything right then you *could* be within your rights to walk away from this. However, if your conscience tells you that maybe you should do something to help this guy out, maybe you could send him the value between what he paid for it and what he would have paid for the actual bass you sold him.
     
  9. HiFi

    HiFi

    Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    I definitely did not turn a blind eye or deceive anyone intentionally. I actually strongly felt that the bass was MIJ based on the quality of parts and such, so I took it on faith in that area.

    I would prefer not to just walk away--I hate to leave people in a bad spot, but at the same time, I can't give the full refund amount being asked for at the moment. I've offered more than the probably difference in value already....
     
  10. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You're going beyond normal kindness at this point. You offered the refund once, and the buyer never replied. That would be his loss.

    Anything you do now is purely motivated by your good character.

    -Mike
     
  11. jady

    jady

    Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    yuppers +1
     
  12. Bryan316

    Bryan316 Banned

    Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    BFG 9000 between the eyes.


    OH WAIT... sorry, shoulda read the thread.


    Hmm.


    He may have taken the time to play it a week or so, to see if he could just deal with it and end up liking the bass after breaking it in and getting used to it.

    I don't like how he wanted to just unload it as soon as he got it from you. Shipping costs suck, so maybe he wanted to let someone else buy it and pay the shipping, instead of having to ship it back.

    You gave him a fair offer, you let him have a chance to return it immediately. He balked and postponed too long, in my opinion. He shouldn't have wasted the time trying to sell it.

    Let him eat his mistake.
     
  13. HiFi

    HiFi

    Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    I'll leave my current offer to him available for now. I can't afford more than it, though.

    I'm also bummed that negative feedback may now be left by him in this matter.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.