1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help. I snore so bad I wake my gf, my roommate and my dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crow01, Mar 12, 2010.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    No this is not a joke. Is for real.

Last night my dog was barking at me and woke me up. I went to sleep again. Then again dog barking. I figured it was my snoring.

A couple of other nights my gf has gotten up to sleep on the sofa. She tells me I sound like a hyena.

My roommate's face in the morning is as he hasn't slept for weeks.

I have tried:
    - breath easy tape
    - humidifier
    - taping a tissue on my nose to cover my nose and mouth...I forgot who told me this non-sense.

Someone suggested get an operation to open up something inside my nose canal. Sounds kind of scary...and expensive.

Any ideas? Even if they sound like witchcraft.

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I used to do this also. Really Really bad. My dentist said I was grinding my teeth at night and fit me for a nightguard (unrelated issue). The snoring stopped. Now even without the nightguard I don't do it. And we are talking 30 years of waking the neighbors so to speak. I guess it trained me to hold my mouth or something differently. So, a happy unintentional side effect.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest getting an appointment with a Pulmonologist (a doc who deals with breathing). They can setup up a sleep study (overnight stay hooked up to a monitor)to determine the extent of your problem and recommend a solution.

A sleep study consists of a couple of hours w/o any sleep aids to measure your baseline sleep. Then they give you a mask that helps you breathe better while you're asleep. It's not oxygen. Just air pressure that keeps your air way open and stops the snoring.

I'm not a doctor. YMMV. etc, I' just an experienced CPAP user. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure

Good luck. Don't wait. Your life depends on it.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention it takes some practice to keep it in. My first couple were expensive, and I'd spit it out in my sleep (my dog took care of those). I ended up trying a cheapo $20ish one you shape in boiling water from target and it worked fine.

good luck, I know the anxiety this can cause.

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    There is something you can put up your nose that prevents you from snoring...

It's called a shotgun. :bag:

Terrible jokes aside, go see a doctor about this if you can. While I believe I recall hearing about a corrective surgery for it, there has to be some sort of treatments or breathing exercises or something that your doc can help you with.

6. I would definitely see someone about this, I'm pretty sure loud snoring can lead (Or it might just be another factor) to sleep apnea where you stop breathing while you are asleep and that can get dangerous. Like Stumo said, try and see a Pulmonologist so they can sort you out.

7. I would most certainly agree about the sleep study and seeing the pulmonoligist. Sleep apnea is a major possibility as a cause of snoring. If you have been trying the breathright strips, you have to use them continuously for a week or more to really see any results.

Also, weight problems can be a contributing factor to snoring. How long has this been occurring (to your knowledge). Is it recent, or has it gone on for some time? Also, if it is a recent problem, have you gained any extra weight? If the problem is ongoing and has been for some time, would you say that you carry more weight then you think should be normal?

Do you smoke? Smoking does cause many side effects, such as inflammation of airways, which could contribute or be a possible cause of snoring.

There are many possible causes or contributing factors when dealing with snoring issues. A pulmonologist would more than likely ask similar questions to the ones I just posed, in addition to running several key tests such as a sleep study.

On a related note, sometimes snoring can be caused by sleeping in an uncomfortable manner. It is possible that if you are sleeping uncomfortably, simple steps such as flipping the mattress, or changing mattresses or sleep positions could help.

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Sleep apnea.....ENT Dr

9. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Lose 10 pounds.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    all has been said.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well, not really.

As a sleep apnea sufferer (thick neck / small airway), who is also a C-PAP FAILURE case, I have looked into alternative options.

My most sucessful "alternative" option is circular breathing. Not easy, but once "mastered", has benefits: I own a didjeridoo, and also have made one out of pvc. It was only sheer luck that my love of said instrument would have this benefit... with this and circular breathing (sustainable breathing to produce long continous droning notes) I strengthen the inner membranes of my airways to the point where they don't collapse as easily. Also, I sleep in a slightly inclined position, and apply "breathe right" strips to assist in keeping my nasal airways open.

Though I have read again and again that surgical procedures do not work, there is a local dental surgeon working a procedure called "pillar procedure". This has been documented time and again to be effective.

Look it up, it just might work well for you.

And to those who like to joke about weight loss, you may be right, but in many many many cases you are way off. blanket statements do no one any favors. Educate yourself on the matter.

12. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Stop sleeping on your back.

PS- when the dog wakes you barking, it's usually a good idea to find out for sure what he's barking at, and not just going back to sleep. IME, at least...

13. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt

Aug 17, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Same here. I had some dental work done and the Dentist fit me with a SilentNite Snore Guard. There are lots of similar devices and even some diy-types previously mentioned.

Pros:
    - Protects tooth enamel. (I grind).
    - My wife tells me it has nearly eliminated my snoring. :D

Cons:
    - $400 to purchase and our insurance did not cover it. :meh:
    - There are 2 little plastic hinge strips on each side that can break and are $50 to replace. :meh:

Mine did not slip out, but just the opposite - it was hard to remove it the next morning! After a few nights I guess my teeth adjusted ever so slightly and it was easier to remove.

Good luck.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Had the same problem. Dropped 40lbs. No more snoring.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020