1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help Ibanez BTB or Musicman Slo spec

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Losmoran, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    I play a Getty Lee Jazz bass/TC Electronic Staccato '51/RS210 cab, I like the tones when I play alone but find it doesn't quite cut through the rest of the band with a nice low end rich punchy mid growl.
    I always loved the sound of the Music Man basses. I understand the New Slo Special (Stingray with a Sterling Neck) is really nice.
    I was also recommended to check out an Ibanez BTB1405E. Neither of which have I been able to find or play at any of the local Sam Ash or GC.
    Anyone have any knowledge they can impart on this?????

2. Hi, it might not be the bass that's the problem you say you have with cutting through - but the head. It's voicing just isn't tuned for that, IME. Lots going on down low, but the mids you need to hold your own in the mix are less present. I play and older btb, with the same cab as you have - but the RH head. It has quite a different voicing with more mid emphasis and in my opinion makes it easypeasy to get buy even in busy mixes - and even with the btb which is quite big down low. So frankly, I think the staccato is the one giving you problems there. I have seen some threads here on how to eq it to stand out in the mids more - but you're still up against an inherent voicing with emphasis on big lows more than mids. Good luck finding a solution!

3. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Thomas, I'll try looking for eq'ing/tone setting options as you suggested to see if I can get there without the additional investment. But it may be hard to fight the desire for a new bass :). I guess I'll also check into RH750 pricing.

4. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Route 1: sell the head, get a GK or Aguilar, keep the bass, rock it. That's a great bass.

Route 2: sell the head, get a GK or Aguilar, get the BTB. They're great basses.

5. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Thanks IpCarter, liking route 2. Thanks for the advice. Any ideas on what venue to sell the Staccato? eBay, Craig's list? Again thanks!!