Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help id-ing an ATK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Feb 5, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    You guys are the all knowing, so this is my issue-

I am very pleased with a new bass I bought a few days ago. It's an Ibanez ATK, I believe it's a US made model, double reinforced neck, no truss adj only the tilt thingy, brass nut all the way through the neck, trip coil humbucker, 3 band active eq, flame maple frt brd, 5pc maple/mohogany neck, string through or top load, too many features to list (i'm at work). I love this bass!!!! Buuuuttt...........

WHAT IS IT???? model?, body wood (laquered walnut?)??? MSRP? what yr????

If any one out there has any info on this bass pls let me know!!! I have searched high and low, made calls, searched the net, nothing! The store I bought it from will remain unsaid, (i don't think they had a clue what they had due to the price $400 used), this bass is in steller cond, not a scratch on it, could have been sold as new! I've heard the US models are hard to come by, and I realize why, the wood, construction, gear, electronics everything is premium!!!!! I am a die hard warwick player and this Ibanez has really made an impression. Normally I wouldn't have given it the time, but it's really a great find. Sorry no pics right now, I will post soon.

please any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thx :hyper:

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    US made ATK with the Dave Bunker tension free neck. Dave Bunker designed this neck for his company (PBC??) and liscensed the design out to Ibanez to use on some of their instruments. My friend has one in trans red and I would guess the body is ash.

The electronics seem to be the same as the Japanese ATK's with the active electronics.

Very very heavy.

It sounds great but the Japanese ones are equally as good and can often be found for dirt cheap prices.

I would say you got an OK deal but not a killer deal. I would think they hover around $450-$500 used. There aren't many of them but they can be found and the tension free neck is nice but still an odd novelty that has yet to make it super sought out.

3. This is from the '96 Ibanez catalog :

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    George-
    Thx soooo much did you have this catalog laying around? Bro,... big help thx!!!!!!!

Whats the deal with the nut? It goes all the way through the neck!!!... with no seams!??? I've never seen that before????

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    brass nut pics... strange huh???

6. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I remember way before Ibanez used this design a local store starting carrying the PBC guitars. I believe he started out in PA so that's why the store was carrying so much stuff and probably why Ibanez USA (located in Bensalem PA) struck up a deal with him.

Anyway they had a sample neck laying out to check it out and it is indeed an odd thing. I would think if it was so great more people would pick up on it, but what to I know?

The link below explains it a little. The entire headstock is seperate from the rest of the body and is connected to a rod that is inserted into the neck. Weird.

http://www.bunker-guitars.com/tension_free.html

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, you got the USA one with the tension free neck. You got a great bass there. I have one too and love it. Is yours a 4 or 5, and what color is it. If it's a 5, do you want to sell it ?

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    sup buzz- it's a 4st trans red with many light brown hues, actually, I wouldn't have guessed Ibz called it red, it's much more brown (Walnut color) than anything else. Great bass.... and no, I aint sellin it.... unless you have a Jerzy Drozd you want to trade.......... :smug:

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Buddy-
    Thanks man, good link! BTW this thing has sustain like I have NEVER heard. I've had a few neck thrus and what not, but the ATK rings for days!!!!!... blows em away in sustain!

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    PS- same 4st in George's pic above, but the pic does no justice to the wood grain on the body, neck and headstock. The color is a bit too red and my pick guard is pearlized (can't tell in the pic). George thx again though it is a good pic.

I seem to have lost my digi cam, pls hang in there for my pics.

:bassist:

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    OK, so there is no way to adj the neck other than the tilt function, right? Anyone have exp adj this neck???,,, Buzz how bout you? Any bad issues with yours?

13. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    From the supplied link...

"On the back of each neck, there is an access hole where you can adjust the neck to forward or back bow at D. These necks can be retrofit to any guitar or bass."

I have no idea what this is refering to because I never looked that closely at my friends ATK but it sounds like you can make adjustments.

By your description you have the exact same bass as my friend and they are very nice looking basses.

I owned the standard Japanese made ATK and I loved it.

All ATK's are good in my book.

14. There's also a write up about a "Treker ProStar Deluxe 4" in the April '03 issue of Bass Player magazine. The bass features a "floating" tension-free neck based on the same center-rod technology. It also features the brass nut "gasket", which completely seperates the headstock from the neck.

Strange indeed, but the good folks at BP say the neck is ingenious and extremely stable, and eliminates virtually any and all dead spots.

Sounds like the Dave Bunker neck is really similar. The article says that Treker introduced the technology in the mid 90's... wonder who was really first....

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yes-
    yup...
    uh huh-
    correct,

agreed

16. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
  17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    No, mine has been fine since I set it up 4 yrs ago. That tilt adjustment screw is it. Here's a caution though. Loosen the 2 neck screws closest to the tilt hole before you do the adjustment. Get it where you like it and then tighten those 2 screws back up. Also, don't adjust that tilt screw too much, a little goes a long way. I've also noticed that the neck itself may amplify the adjustment over the 1st 48 hrs or so. That's why I say to turn it in small increments. I even think that my ATK is a BETTER 5 string Stingray than the one made by EB. You can call me sometime if you need to rap about it. page me @ 888-858-7243 pin 114448 and I'll be happy to help you out. Great Bass, it is the ONLY bass ever made by Ibanez that is worth a **** IMO. Rock On.