Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help identifying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jun 30, 2002.

1. My friend got a new bass recently and I think is selling his old one....he left it somewhere and I checked it out and all the markings I could find on it were "Global" ....thats it.....itsa 4 string right hand...and I'm left handed....but (I said this in a earlier post) I have no clue how to play bass but I want to learn...think I could learn to play right handed?...or maybe as a last resort turn it udside down and switch the strings? ..I dunno.....Jimi Hendrix did it that way..but he was great and I suck and he did it with a guitar also...anyway any help is appreciated..

2. The post seemed to start out looking for help identifying a bass, but by the end, I'm not quite sure I knew what the question was.

Anyway, "Global" is a cheap imported brand that used to be sold through the J. C. Penney catalogs a long time ago. (My first bass was a Global about 25 years ago...)

Mike

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmmm, at least pauls violin bass was fairly symmetrical.....

=w=Slicks=w=

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, If your new to it try it righty, if you can get the hang of it all the better. I think you will be happier if you do in the long run (price, availability). If all else fails do what you what feels right. Flip er over, whatever. Playing a bass is a great thing, it can be everything to you if you let it. I say go for it.

5. I have a lefty friend who plays bass right handed. he figured it made sense to have his 'better' hand doing the fretting rather than just plucking. it's logic, i suppose. good or not, i don't know. if you don't play guitar and are just starting on bass, then why not just play right handed? you have to get used to a new posture either way, and both hands need the same speed. in general....note.... IN GENERAL (i know there are exceptions to both) each note has to be fretted and plucked.

he also played drums, and had them set up lefty, but it doesn't make any difference with drum sets........until he looked for a left-handed double kick........

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Paul's viloin is lefty. It has the knobs on the correct side fo his left handed playing.

You can learn no problem going "Hendrix" style. If you like playing a lot you will probably want to eventually get a real left handed bass.

7. Hmmm...I'm left handed and I play a right handed bass. A lefty bass is very uncomfortable to me and it's such a pain to get a lefty bass and they're more expensive. Better to just play right handed bass, but if it's really uncomfortable or whatever try left handed also. But just because you write with you left hand or whatever doesn't mean that you have to have a left handed bass. I use right handed hockey sticks, I play right handed basses, but I write with my left...so just try both and see which works best for you in the beginning and go on from there.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My brother Pat is like Oddman545. he writes with his left hand but is right handed in all other ways, including playing guitar and bass. Think about just learning right handed, it's not that tough I don't think.

9. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i read somewhere that lefties have a lower life expectancy than righthanders. i guess thats the price you pay for being so talented in everything else :mad:

=w=Slicks=w=