Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEed help identifying a bassist.

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bassist15, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Last fall when I was on vacation I saw a jazz/classical piano/double bass/drums trio. Their bassist played an awesome solo and i didnt get them chance to write down his name. So i was wondering if any of you have heard of him. His name was sumthing like Benoit Dunbar de Sargarzo. He was an amzing soloist.

2. Benoît Dunoyer de Segonzac.
    This might be Jacques Loussier's new trio with André Arpino.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The guy is descended from "old nobility." Check out his family's website. I wish the elite class of the USA were so devoted to the arts.

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Thank you sooooo much for this information. any recommended albums that show his great play? I really lieked the solos he took when i saw him wwith Jacques Loussier's trio(It was this group.) i really like these guys and their style is very unique.

5. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I play with a drummer who used to dep in the Lussier trio when Pierre Michelot was in the band. She says that at rehersals they used to play blues for hours, and she reckons it was far better than the Bach stuff they played on gigs... is he still playing Bach?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Perhaps it's because the "elite class" of the USA are nothing more than the descendants of shopkeepers that couldn't make a go of it in the "old country"?

7. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    That's kinda dismal.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dint we have a revolution to get away from that kind of ****?

9. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Now I'm lost, sorry. I don't get the last comment.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    The general consensus around King George's court that as soon as Britain was chased out of the colonies, the high ideals of the "revolutionaries" would be cast aside and that Jefferson, Adams and the rest would assume the titles of barons, counts etc. and life (as personified in titled Europe) would go on much as before.

My original comment was in response to those who consider themselves an American "elite class", they aren't royalty. The second was in response to your "dismal" comment, maybe I didn't understand what you think is "dismal"?

11. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I see what you were saying now. I thought that in your first comment you were saying that people who have are in high office in today's society aren't (stereotypically) involved in the arts at all because they were descendants of shop keepers who weren't smart enough in Europe. I thought that that was kind of dismal.

Ah, as the smoke clears, understanding returns.