1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help Identifying a String!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by CCTEXAS, May 11, 2010.

1. I was in a violin shop the other day and was auditioning several basses when I came across a really nice set of strings. I have no clue what they were and the shop owner had no clue. The string has red silk as the dominant color and a grey swirl/stripe that ran through the red silk. Can anyone help me identify the string???? I can't remember what the peg box colors were...

Thanks in advance!!!

Manny

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What do they look like at the peg ends?

3. Look, JACK. :D

4. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Oh geez - you know you're getting older when THEOLDGUY catches details you miss... :(

5. Thas' zactly what I was gonna include in that post but I dint wanna overkill. :)

6. Well, I really appreciate all the help, but I have not had any luck I.D.ing the strings. I went to the URL that was posted, but "no matches found" was the order of the day. I may have to make a trip back to the violin shop and take some pix and get the peg box silk color.

Thanks to all,

Manny

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    That string id'er never seems to work for me for some reason. Even when I type in combos that I know exist.

I wish I had the answer for you on this one, I love this game.

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Can you call the store and have someone peek in the peg-box?

9. Yup!! I am waiting for lunch so that I can make the call.

10. So it looks like the peg box silk colors are red, blonde, grean and black... Any ideas????? She said they may be Obligatos... What do you think??

11. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    No, not obligatos, unless the spiral was black. <edit> not obligatos in any event, as the peg colors don't match.

Not Helicore Pizzicatos, which are close, but not quite a match to your colors. Not a Pirastro string based on the peg end scheme.

You didn't what general character they had, which might help. Stiff steel? Soft and sprongy? Sustain and growl? Thump and fundamental? Also did they look old or new? Could the colors have faded?

12. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    In that order, from E to G? D'Addario colours are Green, Black, Yellow and Red from E to G.

13. What do the Obligatos look like?

14. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Blood red with a black spiral. Not subtle.

15. Well the silk was red, not blood red and it had a grey swirl through it. ???????? Its killing me!!!! :help:

16. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Were they thick? thin? Stiff? Bouncy? bright? dark?

There's not really that many things it could be. I think we've ruled out anything made by Thomastik, Velvet, D-Addario or Pirastro. That doesn't leave all that much.

We're usually quite good at this game, but I got nothin'.

17. I checked the ID link. I came up with Coreli Tungsten. However I used Red w/Black Spiral, and two of the strings came back as a C and a B.

18. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Maybe Pirastro Flat-Chromesteel? It has a red and white spiral, but maybe it got a little dirty and the white turned grey. The peg ends should be green, black, red, brown from E-G. That's pretty close. Maybe the person in the store mixed them up a little.

19. I still want to hear characteristics. Arco string? Pizz? Zingy and brilliant? Warm?