Need help identifying an old bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kruton, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I recently found a vintage bass in a pawn shop for $45. It's missing the g string tuning key. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that there isn't a brand name anywhere on it, so I don't know what type to order.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    By the look of the back of the headstock, I'd say you'll probably have to replace the entire thing.

Brand? Could be an Eko or a Silvertone, if it had a brand at all.
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I wanna say Conrad. But like I'm always saying, there's like fourteen brands that were coming out of the same factories in the sixties, with more or less interchangeable brand names.
  4. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Is that knob from a wall light dimmer switch?
  5. I think it sold for 49.95 NEW!
  6. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but things like that are always worth having around for recording. We've all heard classic P Bass/ j bass/rick/Hofner/Musc Man, etc. sounds so much that sometimes what you really need is something different. That's whe our hero pulls out this monstrosity and everybody goes "oooh"
  7. Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Ya it actually sounds okay. I only had to pay half. Once we get the 4th string on we're just going to mess with it. I'm thinking of taking those keys off and putting the ones from my old squier on. Shouldn't be too hard right? Just drilling some new holes right? Also I was wondering when we take the strings off, is the neck going to be ok? Is it going to bend or bow because it's been under tension so long?
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It is true that during the mid-sixties there were several Japanese builders that sold instruments in the US. Tiesco-DelRay, Kingston, and Kent come to mind. This one looks like a "Kent" to me. I had a very similar bass long ago, a Kingston. The Kents and Kingstons did have pretty much interchangeable parts. The Kents were of lower quality that the Kingstons, IMHO. The pickup is almost the same as my Kingston, except for the gold plating around the pole adjusters. The finish really looks like a Kent finish. Most of the Kents I saw and played were that same red/black burst.

If the neck can be adjusted to be reasonably straight, and the tuner replaced, this bass should play and sound OK.

Most of these basses had necks that warped beyond repair within a few years after they were made. You might find another such instrument on ebay and "restore" this one..... ;-)

-Dr. Jim
  9. Split49

Mar 2, 2006
    does it have a model ##?