Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help identifying guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass, May 26, 2004.

1. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I own a guitar that I suspect is made by Roland about 20 years ago. I'd like to track down some more information on this guitar, but I'm not having much luck. I guess I suck at searching the internet.

Can anyone recommend a website that would help me identify this mystery guitar? Maybe there's a guitar forum much like TalkBass.

Thanks in advance!

2. Any description other than "suspected Roland guitar around 20 years old" might net you better results.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Does it maybe have a serial number somewhere on it? I found out while searching for information on my pre-lawsuit Ibanez that there are fansites for just about every kind of old instrument out there, and more than a few have serial number tables.

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    OK, fair enough, here's a description:

The guitar looks like a Les Paul copy and is baby blue. It's a through neck with LP headstock and 3+3 tuning pegs. The neck has large rectangular pearl inlays. Most distinctive is the electronics: double humbuckers with pickup selector switch, a series / paralell swicth and a "decade" knob numbered 1 through 5.

I haven't noticed a serial number and the headstock has no markings.

So are there any websites or internet resources to help identify this? Does anyone know what type of guitar this is by the photo?

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dunno sure looks sweet tho. Any chance of a closer shot of the control plate?

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It looks sweet, and the headstock's enough for Gibson to sue somebody over (that's what the lawsuit with Ibanez was over), but I've no idea who makes it. The pickups are probably aftermarket, since most all of the Les Pauls (and fakes) I've ever seen had pickup covers.

Did you look inside the control cavity on the back? Maybe theres a number of some sort in there.

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I think it might be a "Columbus" - a reasonable quality Japanese copy from the 70's - 80's.

8. Might be a SN# or other identifier where the neck meets the body, but youd have to remove the neck to check it. Sweet axe though, Id love to find one like it! Maybe a very early Aria? Japan was making some very very sweet "copies" back in the late 70's. Including an Aria Pro copy of the Les Paul Black Beauty, 3 pickups, gold hardware, white binding, the same large rectangular fret inlays, if they'd have put Gibson on the headstock...you'd hardly have been able to identify the difference. They did get sued over it, but it doesnt change the fact that a few of these rareities can still be found.
    Let us know if you i.d. it!

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    OK, the attached photos are the front and rear of the pickguard. Notice the "decade" switch; I'm not sure what it does but it sure has alot of capacitors. The decade knob numbered 1 to 5 is likely original, topped with a silver sticker. I replaced the other knobs with "speed dials" because they were broken / missing.

No serial number inside the control cavity either. Hmmm...

The construction of this guitar is kinda interesting. It's not plywood but it's not one piece either. It looks like it's contructed in layers of 1/4 inch wood (the wood looks "porous" and is light colored but the guitar is quite heavy). Also, the face is rounded and held off the main body by shims.

I've decided to replace the pickguard & electronics. I'll save the original gear of course, but the pots & switching etc.. is a little scratchy. I'd like to have fresh wiring and update the appearance.