1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help identifying ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mpopovits, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mpopovits

mpopovits

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi folks,

I have been curious about bass guitar for a little while and picked up an inexpensive used one today to satisfy my curiosity.

The ad said it was an Ibanez GSR200 and included the attached photo. On the back is a serial number starts with GS09E15**** (i'm omitting last 4 numbers for privacy) and a small green sticker that i think says made in china.

I'm a newbie to all this stuff so please bear with me.

I searched the internet and couldn't find another GSR200 that looked like this. This one has 2 knob controls and one pickup. Every other picture I've seen for GSR200's has a different pickup and more knobs. The person I bought it from said he bought it last year new but hadn't used it much himself (he's a guitarist). I haven't seen a matte wood finish like this in any of the GSR200's that i've seen in my online search.

Did I get a real Ibanez or is this a cheap knockoff? As long as it works well enough to satisfy my curiosity I don't mind. I would just like to know what it is that I have.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Attached Files:

2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Nope, it's a GSR 100EX. It's part of Ibanez's "GIO" line of budget basses. The natural finish-mahogany-is likely discontinued. Ibanez's web site only shows the black, but you can see the similarities.

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-GSR100EX

-Or-
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGSR100EX (shows discontinued)

Going price, used, I'd say 100 bones or less. I'd use one for a putz-around bass.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You have a quality beginner bass. How does it play? How does it sound? Is the neck straight? You can definitely learn to play on that!

4. yep, i saw one on ebay just the other day and contemplated buying it to make a poor mans stingray...i think it probably shares the same electronics as the SRX400, which are nothing special ("bass boost" only, i converted my SRX to passive and like it better) but not a bad bass to start with...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360479913881

5. mpopovits

mpopovits

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. :bassist: You're right it's definitely a 100EX.

I took it home last night and tuned it up and went down each fret
    and my chromatic tuner showed it as being the correct note. Then played it through my ipad ampkit+ American Bass King amp - through headphones and I thought it sounded nice (what nice sounds like to a beginner anyway). I'd been very curious the past few months about the sounds a bass guitar makes ever since I realized that low duh-duh sound I hear in some songs was bass and not a low sounding drum! Beginner ears need much tuning!

The body appears in excellent shape, not a scratch on it, and I like the wood finish. To a beginners eyes and ears this looks to be a good deal and a great place to start exploring the world of bass guitar.

I'm still intrigued by the sounds of bass guitar and look forward to getting to know this new addition to my collection. If bass works out
    for me then I'll definitely get something higher up the food chain
    (my other guitar is Gibson SG Standard). Until then my "Bass Guitar for Dumies" book and I will muddle our way through with this.

Even though this appears to be the bottom of the Ibanez line...does that still put it above many of the other entry level guitars
    or on the same level?

6. i would say you did very well...ibanez makes a nice bass, even at the "low end" (pun fully intended)

a single pickup bass, as you have there, will really allow you to see how much tonal variation you can achieve solely by varying your technique (position and force of your plucking hand etc)....later on, if everything works out, you might try out a jazz bass (this name refers to the style) for even more tonal variety, as it has two pickups and allows you to blend them in various proportions

the only thing your bass lacks is a proper tone knob, which allows you to cut the treble (again, to varying degrees), not a big deal but you may notice a lot of fret noise from your fingers moving over the strings, particularly with new strings...but dealing with that will also make you a better player in terms of technique (and you can always use flatwound strings or modify the bass)

talkbass is a great resource for anything you might want to learn, and don't forget about youtube for great examples of perfomances and tutorials and such....the most important thing is to enjoy yourself and have fun with it

7. mpopovits

mpopovits

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks for the great response. This bass sounds like a great place to start!