1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help identifying Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EagleMoon, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Went into Guitar Center today and picked up this bass for cheap. Just wanted to know HOW cheap I got it. I can't find one exactly like it on Peavey's website. Anybody know what kind of wood this is or what the model is? There's no serial number on it that I can find.

Here's pics...

CirrusWholeBody.
    CirrusHeadstock.
    CirrusDetailFront.
    CirrusBack.
    CirrusCloseupBody.

2. hmmmm....I can't seem to find a picture of one just like this anywhere. Surely it's not that rare of a color?

3. There are a few on e-bay also. If you're looking for the EXACT copy of yours you might have a hard time, if you read the features of the bass it says that they came with different tops.

"Features

* Four-, five- and six-string models
    * 35" scale
    * Neck-through-body construction
    * Two Peavey VFL active pickups
    * Active three-band EQ with +/- 10 dB boost/cut
    * Gold hardware
    * String-through, finger-style bridge
    * Pau ferro fretboard
    * Hand-rubbed oil finish neck
    * Dual, expanding truss rod
    * Available in QT (quilt top) tiger eye, (BT) bubinga top natural and DT (darkwood top) natural
    * U.S. MSRP: $719.99 on Cirrus 4 BXP; $799.99 on Cirrus 5 BXP"

4. I can't find one this color with the quilt maple top. Looks like they make one too that's a lot more expensive with a quilt top, but I can't tell which one mine is.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It's the import Cirrus model. They've been made in a couple different wood combos/finishes in the past couple years, IIRC. They go pretty regularly on Ebay in the $400-$500 range, from what I've seen.

6. I got a good deal on this one because they had it mismarked as a Grind bass, so I only had to pay the Grind bass price. Not sure if I'll like that much, but I couldn't pass it up.

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Looks good.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Peavey Cirrus BXP Electric Bass Guitar: Exotic Body
    Peavey has created a new electric bass guitar, the cirrus BPX.

Since debuting in 1998, the now-legendary Peavey Cirrus Series has become a favorite of professional bassists and all who appreciate finely crafted, tonally superior instruments. With their exotic body woods, expert craftsmanship, active electronics and smooth, natural design, Cirrus bass guitars are among the most coveted basses ever made. These new models make the Cirrus sound and feel accessible for conventional players.

All BXP models include on-board, active three-band EQ with bass/variable mid/treble boost and cut, two internally active VFL pickups, dual-compression finger bridge, 18 Volt low impedance output and 24 frets.

Features
    Four-, five- and six-string models
    35" scale
    Neck-through-body construction
    Two Peavey VFL active pickups
    Active three-band EQ with +/- 10 dB boost/cut
    Gold hardware
    String-through, finger-style bridge
    Pau ferro fretboard
    Hand-rubbed oil finish neck
    Dual, expanding truss rod
    Available in QT (quilt top) tiger eye, (BT) bubinga top natural and DT (darkwood top) natural
    U.S. MSRP: $719.99 on Cirrus 4 BXP; $799.99 on Cirrus 5 BXP

9. Thanks for the info, guys. I think this one that I have must be an orphan. There's no serial number anywhere. :meh: But it seems ot be a really nice bass. I can get lots of different sounds of it.:bassist:

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Have you looked under the plates on the back for a serial number? That's where it is on one of my basses, stamped into the wood.

11. Yep, I've looked under the plates. Nothing there. The only thing that has any numbers on it is a Peavey sticker where the pickups come into the control cavity, and that looks like it's for the electronics.