1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help Identifying Pedulla Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lmatthews, Apr 20, 2006.

1. lmatthews

lmatthews

Apr 20, 2006
    I am new to Talk Bass so apologize in advance if this isn't the right way to ask for help... I am trying to get all the specs on a Pedulla Thunderbass ET-5 that I own. I have gone to their website and checked out the model number and it appears it was made in 1996. All of the recent models however have four control knobs and mine only has three. I am attaching a photo and if anyone can help or just direct me where to look for help getting all the specs I would appreciate very much!

Attached Files:

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Its a beaut, thats what it is

3. lmatthews

lmatthews

Apr 20, 2006
    Thanks Sutton. Wish I knew exactly what I got!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Are any of the knobs stacked or push-pull?

5. lmatthews

lmatthews

Apr 20, 2006
    Bryan - I'm new to playing bass, primarily a guitar player, so excuse my ignorance but I am not sure what the terms "stacked" or "push-pull" mean. If you could give me a brief explanation of the terms I will check and reply.

Thanks

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There are different electronics packages available on the Thunderbass. The "standard" package has 3 knobs like yours. From the online manual on the Pedulla website:

The 4-knob setups are optional bass/treble controls.

Mike

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Push/pull means you can pull up on a knob and it will (usually) change the bass between active and passive modes. A stacked knob is basically like two knobs stacked on top of the other- there's a shorter one on the bottom that turns independantly from the top part.

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    If you're talking about the controls and what they do, here's what you need to do...

Control knob #1 (closest to the bridge pickup) is the volume pot.

Control know #2 is the pickup pan. All the way clockwise is the neck pickup, all the way counterclockwise is the bridge pickup. The center detent in the middle will be an equal balance of both pickups.

Control knob #3 is the tone control. It will sweep your treble.

The switch activates the two Thunderguts circuits for an aggressive boost in the midrange (this is THE signature sound of these basses). In 'off' mode (switch in the up position) the instrument will be much more mellow and classic sounding.

Mike Pedulla now puts the upgraded four-knob configuration on all instruments coming out of the shop - previously, this was available an upgrade option. Essentially, this adds the Bart NTBT circuit for independent treble and bass controls on top of the existing modules.

What else are you looking to know? Chance are good I may be able to help you out.

Lonnybass (Pedulla endorser since 2004)

9. lmatthews

lmatthews

Apr 20, 2006
    You nailed it. That is exactly what I needed to know. Really, really appreciate the help.

Have a great day!

10. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    You got it buddy. Keep in mind too that if you turn down the volume about halfway, it will also tweak the low end output, which will help you find additional sounds, especially some tasty slap stuff. It's kind of ingenious how much sweep flexibility Mike put into those three knobs.

If you want more boost/cut flexibility, you can always get the upgrade installed as an aftermarket job. I had this done myself and haven't regretted it.

Lonnybass

11. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Lmatthews-

Saw the bass up on ebay today - what made you decide to pull the plug?

Lonnybass