Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help identifying/repairing bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by freemole, Mar 8, 2004.

1. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    I have a hybrid bass that needs repair after a run in with an intoxicated drummer and a union electricain. it got knocked over on its face. The top did not crack but the bridge and post moved and the fingerboard needs to be re-set and glued.
    I believe this instrument is a pre-war german bass. It has a carved two piece spruce top, solid maple sides and a plywood round back, maple neck, ebony fingerboard and a fairly new ebony tailpiace. The label inside reads

Sansone Musikal Instruments Inc.
    New York U.S.A Los Angeles
    Made in Germany

This bass sounds pretty good pizz but is very high tension, bows like crap,(because of the high tension) and has a 43 1/4 " string length with an e-flat neck. Because I have to have it repaired - and I live in Montana where qualified/experienced bass luthiers are scarce so i have to ship/drive it somewhere anyway - i'm wondering if it would be worth it to find someone who could cut the neck block down to make it about a 42'' scale and re set the neck angle to also help the tension and bow response. Any advice about the worthiness of having it re-sized and possible shops that could do it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  3. I agree with Ken on the nut. Get in touch with www.rossdoublebass.com Bob Ross- 1-720-201-1738
    We're right down below you in Colorful Colorado. How about a vacation/bass surgery trip?
    Call Bob and discuss the realities of repair prices and bass values. Bob is so knowledgable, a talk on the phone with him might bring you some options.

4. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    thanks guys. great information. i appreciate it.