Need help identifying strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Sep 25, 2005.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Recently got a used bass, and want to try some different strings (perhaps some with just a bit less tension) without going through five or six sets. So I need to know what kind of strings are on the bass now, so I have a reference point. The balls on this set are different colors, gold for the E, red for the A, black for the D and green for the G. Can anyone ID the brand with just this info? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    D'addario have coloured balls, can you give us some info how the strings feel if they are roundwounds, half-rounds or flatwounds?
  3. It may also be Hartke. I can't check the colors right now, though
  4. Sounds like DAddario's.

I have two different un-opened sets with me right now and they do use colored balls.

brass E, red A, black D, green G

Prism pss80
    yellow E, red A, black D, green G

I'm not sure but I think that the color code is for the tension of the string, my guess anyway. Check out their website, for a string manufacture they seem to have a lot more information on their products than most.
  5. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    brass E, red A, black D, green G...
    Wait, that's what my strings are!!! I use D'Addario EXL220, I guess that's what all D'Addario strings are...
  6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks to all for your answers. The strings are roundwound. They feel like medium or heavy gauge.
  7. OK, the colors are not quite right for Hartke, since the Hartke G is not green