1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help identifying these GK NEO Drivers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creis2, Jul 27, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I have (2) GK 212 neo cabinets.

I will be trading with a friend tomorrow, I will be getting rid of one of the cabs.

They've both been sitting in my basement for a few months, I opened both up just to inspect and to clean dust out, etc.

I noticed both cabs had two totally looking drivers. They both seem to be NEO and both have the same numbers printed on the paper part.

Did GK change the design? Are these even Gk drivers? Out of the two, which one do I want to hang on to.

The all black one on the left seems to be a bit heaver but heavier duty.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I looked at the other speaker that matches the one to the left and there is an eminence logo sticker on it.

:confused:

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The one on the right looks exactly like my Eminence DeltaliteII's. Not just similair, but down to little details, like how the edge of the spider sticks out around the motor just a little bit, and the rib running up the spokes on the frame.

The one on the left looks like an earlier neo design. Those big, thick cooling fins and the non-vented pole piece are like the original run deltalites that weren't that great and didn't last long. That's not what it is though I don't think, the frame structure is all wrong. That one may be a GK driver.

The right one could be a GK too I suppose, if they were having Emi. China do manufacturing for them or something, but that one looks exactly like all my Eminences, both stock versions, and Avatar OEM's.

I'm thinking the one on the right might be the better driver, but you're going to have to listen to both cabs and decide for yourself.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, then that's what it is.

I think they're quite good drivers but that doesn't mean you will.

Did you buy these cabs new or used?

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Man, that's weird. It looks exactly like my eminences. Not "sorta like", them, but just like them.

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks everyone. Very weird.

Most of all, I find the same part numbers to be odd.

Either way, I think I'll be getting rid of both cabs eventually. Both are VERY heavy for neo's, I originally got these as an alternative to my heaver cabs.

I bought these cabs used, from two different places, over a long span on time.

Thanks.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The Emi. logo is one the one with the fewer, thick cooling fins?

Does that speaker have a vented dustcap, either by a screen covered hole in the center, or just a transparent dustcap where you can see the voice coil if you shine a flashlight through it?

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If they're heavy, maybe they are GK drivers. My Eminences are featherweights, but the visual similarities are too much to ignore.

9. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    The one to the left has the emi logo, no visible dust cap.

The one to the right has a dust cab in the middle.

I don't think I'll ever buy a used cab again.

I've bought several over the years. EVERY one had some kind of issue/something fishy going on.

10. The un-answered question is who copied who's design? Or was it a collaboration before G-K started making 99% of their own drivers that both companies benefited from.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Emi. DL II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original series deltalites.

[​IMG]

Take a minute and find any minute differences.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Could be.

Lots of companies "design" their own drivers, but they are at least based on some production platform already there.

I was under the impression GK, like Peavey actually did their own manufacturing, and I think they do. Could they maybe source a budget line or something from Emi. China, and maybe that's what a previous owner replaced the GK neo's with because the top of the line one's were more expensive?

OP, I buy used stuff all the time, but you have to know what you're looking at. At least pull a handle off and check that the drivers are what belong with the cab. Many of them look similair from the front. It's too easy for someone to stick budget replacements in there and many people wouldn't know the difference. They see the logo and listen with there eyes.

There was a thread on here a few months back where someone bought a Mesa cab used, later sold it again, and never knew it had carvin drivers in it the whole time. Only found out when the next buyer checked it out. When they thoight it was a Mesa, they thought it sounded good. If it said Carvin on the outside of the cab, they probably wouldn't have thought it was that good.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Actually, mine have spade terminals. Those pics I grabbed from google. My DL II's look exactly like the right one in creis2's pic, with spade terminals and no black label around the magnet.

But, he says the eminence label is on the left one with the thick heatsink, and their frame/basket looks different than the original deltalite 1 pics I can find, of which there aren't many.

14. G-K does make their own drivers. About the only thing G-K's China factory makes now.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've always thought so.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Aha!.....:)

The GK driver in your link has 2 "ribs" running up the back of the spokes that make up the basket to strengthen the spokes. The one in creis2's pic has 1 "rib" running up the spokes. My deltalites and all the other pics I've found of them have the 1 "rib". I bet they are deltaliteII's. The outside part of the rim of the magnet is also black in the GK ad, the eminences are the raw metal color.

So, I'm thinking the one on the right is a deltaliteII2512.

The one on the left that he says has the eminence label, has the same heatsinking around the magnet as the pic of the original series deltalites, but the basket assembly is all wrong. I don't know what eminence that is, but I don't think it's a GK driver either.

Looks like OP has 2 GK cabinets and no GK drivers.:meh:

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Look at the back side of the spokes. The GK's have 2 re-enforcement "spines" or "ribs" running up the back of the spoke that kinda turn into a couple of cooling fins.

The eminence only has one of those, like in creis2's pic.

53C1FE84-orig.

[​IMG]

19. Ah so right Mr Holmes. Good job!