Need help identifying this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaygov, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Jaygov

Jaygov

Apr 5, 2018
    8B383155-185A-4466-8244-AA78251B98E4.jpg hi guys I just bought this p-bass in a local store, the guy had no info about it, the serial number on the headstock indicates that it's from 2007 American made, i haven't checked inside to see if there's any date or signature. I used some solvent on the body to see if it was nitro finish, and although the paint got thinner and softer it didn't disolved enough to let the wood be seeing. I did the same to a poly painted bass I have and the same solvent did nothing to the paint so I'm not sure about the first bass. I am happy with this bass but I have no idea about it maybe someone knows about it. Thanks

40Hz likes this.
  2. Looks like it may be a ‘62 reissue.

3. Jaygov

Jaygov

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks for replying bro, yes it is a 52 but I can't find any from 2007, it looks exactly like the ones they are releasing this year even the knobs are same, I just can't find any from 2007 maybe it's a custom job??

4. Regarding the paint they will put a light coat of lacquer over a sealer or poly, which would explain why it didn’t get to the wood.

Nice bass, enjoy!

5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Isn’t that bridge from the “modern” American standards? I assume it is string through body? Wouldn’t the AVRI or similar have the original style bend plate bridge with threaded saddles?

Looks lovely! Love that PG colour combo!! So classic!!!

Jaygov likes this.
  6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    A few things don’t look right. Do you have a picture of the back of the headstock? It looks like a hwy1 neck which is USA made. But the pickguard looks gold anodized which isn’t what the hwy1 came with. The body color was not offered with that headstock logo either. The bridge doesn’t look like a fender bridge.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  7. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Looks like an American standard bridge to me. Does look like a mash up of styles, but looks good to me. I like the anodized pick guard.

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I edited my post but no that doesn’t look like an American standard bridge.
    highlight-electric-american-standard-fender-hmv-bridge.jpg

9. Jaygov

Jaygov

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks man!! It sounds amazing....I wonder how the paint will age.....I guess time will tell

10. Jaygov

Jaygov

Apr 5, 2018
    IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1721.JPG
    It's such a mystery to me haha, specially here in Mexico it's so difficult to just buy those kind of parts and put them together yourself so I don't think someone just did that.....maybe a fender custom order??? Here's more pics

11. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    It would help if we could see under the pickguard. My vote is a Hwy 1 (Highway One) neck with a mim 50's reissue body. Not sure who makes that bridge though.

Fluid Power, pudgychef and REMBO like this.
  12. Jaygov

Jaygov

Apr 5, 2018
    I hope it's not a MIM body I really wanted it to be americanI will post under the pickguard pictures later today thanks for all the replies

13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Bridge is definitely a replacement as well as the knobs.

14. Definitely not an American Standard neck. If the tuners are stock then it is definitely a HW1 neck cause those started with “Z.....” the bridge could be a replacement. Standard HW1 from ‘07 came with a Badass bridge and nitro finish.

15. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a bridge like that on my 2014 P bass. Paid $30.00 bucks for it online.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    That, in a nutshell, is all that really matters.

Congratulations on getting a really nice PB. Play it well. :thumbsup:

Dluxe and Jaygov like this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    That's a Highway 1 (one) neck for sure.

Tobiasfin, pudgychef and REMBO like this.
  18. IPA

IPA Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    Maybe it's just the angle but that headstock looks suspect

shadven likes this.
  19. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Neck plate is bogus too...

pudgychef likes this.