1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help identifying this double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basschronicblue, Feb 25, 2013.

1. basschronicblue

basschronicblue

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm new to playing Double Basses and I'm trying to identify a DB that I'll likely be buying locally. The Seller says it's an Engelhardt ES9 and that it was painted black from the manufacturer, but I can't find any ES9's that are painted black like that from Engelhardt. Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• es9.
      es9.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    I'm not exactly certified to tell you anything about an Engelhardt bass, but I'd be weary. If you can't find any proof that they came like that from the manufacturer, you might be getting duped.

3. You checked for label inside the f-hole, right?

4. The lines look right for an Engelhardt, and I know people who have ordered custom paint or a flamed maple veneer on the belly instead of the usual spruce veneer.

If I were you I'd copy the information off the label, including the serial number, and call Tom Link to see what he says.

5. basschronicblue

basschronicblue

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm driving over to check it out today. The serial number I was given over the phone is correct and dates it as made in 2003. Is there a way I can tell from the serial number which model it is? All the charts I can find on the internet just have them broken down by year manufactured only. Thanks for all the help!

6. The tag should have the model number.

7. Good Luck!

8. basschronicblue

basschronicblue

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys. It was an ES9 with custom black paint from Engelhardt with the appropriate serial number and documentation from the manufacturer on the paint job. I bought it for a really great price. I'm going to enjoy playing this one.

9. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass basschronicblue.

And of course congrats on the NDBD.

Regards
    Sam