1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help identifying this Roxy Music bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Edword, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
  2. C.Cat

C.Cat

Apr 27, 2007
    Not even Bryan Ferry or Phil Manzanera can name all the bassists... It could be Rick Kenton.

Roxy Rule!

3. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

I've been doing Google searches of all the bassists they used, but can't find pictures of them all.

4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Looks a little like the late great Alan Spenner, but I don't know if he played with Roxy as early as '73.

5. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Pretty sure it's John Porter.

6. C.Cat

C.Cat

Apr 27, 2007
    It must be, I've just been looking at some pictures from that era that seem to have him in

7. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Yep, it's Porter. Rik Kenton was the one with round glasses, and after Porter Sal Maida held the spot until Wetton took over in the late '74. There's some clips on youtube where Maida plays a Rickenbacker and looks as glamourous as the other band, a rare feat for a Roxy bassist.:)
    There's also one clip with the king of Roxy bassdom, John Gustafson.

8. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks for the info!

9. C.Cat

C.Cat

Apr 27, 2007
    While we're on the subject of Roxy bassists, does anyone know what happened to Graham Simpson after he left?

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I love Roxy Music. Maybe one of the most influential bands in my musical history.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021