1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help identifying this string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Lenbytown, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a used E string that came with my used bass. I tried to identify it using Quinn Violins string ID search but the string wasn't found. :bawl: The ball end is an orange/yellow spiral and the peg end is dark green. Anyone have any idea what it is?

2. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    I think it's a D'addario Zyex...but I am only 90% sure.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  4. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    What string do you think it is Jake?

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'm waiting for a photo including both ends to appear! ;)

6. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just added photos - colors might be a bit off.

Attached Files:

7. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    Bel Canto Stark? I'd heard rumors, but I didn't know they existed.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is a Pirastro Jazzer. Final answer, Regis.

9. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Huh. I thought the E was just plain orange, not an orange/yellow spiral, in that set.

EDIT: I see, it's not a spiral, just discoloration.

10. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten it from the description, but the picture is a dead ringer. Good match with Evah Pirazzis in my experience.

11. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thank you Troy and to everyone else who replied.

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    You're welcome.

Do you like it?

13. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I currently have Evah lights on my bass. I swapped the E string with the Jazzer because I like some growl and the Evahs just don't do this (at least not on my bass). I also find that the Evahs don't have enough volume for pizz. Having said this, I do like the singing quality of the Evah G string - not too bright and 'trebly' sounding like a Spiro. (again, just my observation with my bass). The Jazzer is a bit better on both fronts, but I'm still not happy with the sound of my bass. So, based partly on the comments from posters on this forum, I just ordered a set of Helicore Pizzicato Lights. I realize now that strings are a personal choice and can understatnd why some folks mix and match their strings. It's unfortunate that the cost of strings prohibits many of us from experimenting to find that 'perfect' string with the 'perfect' sound we are looking for, but maybe that's just part of the game.

14. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Trades help with this. I've made a lot of them and tried a lot of things in the process.

I'm a pretty well documented Jazzer user, but I went through a Evah Pirazzi phase as well. Jazzers for low strings with EPs for high strings worked pretty well for me. In my experience, you're right about the G, it's got some (but not all) of the qualities of the OLIV without the durability issues or cost. As I went down the set things got duller and less inspiring for me.

Jazzers are a good set and I feel like the E and A have some special goodness that pairs well with a lot of things.

If you don't like the sound of your bass, find a luthier who will work with you. I put this off far too long and went through too many strings trying to achieve something that really required setup.

15. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks Troy. I'll evaluate the Helicores once I get them from Bob G. and go from there. Maybe a soundpost adjustment?

16. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yup, the Helis are louder than the Evahs, so now my bass sounds more like I expected it to in terms of volume. (The Evahs were the original strings on the bass) The Helis also provide for some growl and more sustain over the Evahs. However, I find the G string a bit thin and weak. I might try replacing it with the Evah medium as I did like the sound of this particular string. My only compaint is the 'clicking' string noise against the fingerboard, most noteably on the A and E strings. I attribute this to the composition of the string and not technique :) as the Evahs were quiet as a church mouse. I'm playing strictly pizz so I can't comment on their arco qualities. Overall, happy with the Helicore Pizzicatos, but I think I'll try the medium set next time.

17. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    The strings on the bass before were Evah weichs. The difference is that weichs have a little 1 cm strip of pink silk before the normal color-coded silk.

18. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I stand corrected. They are indeed Evah lights.