Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help identifying vintage Fender neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Jun 16, 2005.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Hi All:

I've got an older Fender Precision neck and on the heal it reads '0102x1604' and I hope one of you vintage buffs can tell me the year of manufacture.

Many thanks,

Tony Noriega, Tampa

2. Any vintage Fender neck I have ever dealt with had the date ink stamped on the heel. It would say something like JUL 12 72. I've never seen a code of any kind, just a date stamp.

3. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That's been my experience too!! I've never seen one like I have described. The characters appear to be stamped on, but are only 1/8" high instead of the approx 1/4" stamping I've seen before. Maybe someone will have the answer.

4. Could it be a replacement neck? I just called a local Fender dealer / Fender Gold tech and he told me he's never heard of anything different than you and I.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    is there a serial # on it?

6. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The body it came off of has a serial # that dates it to about '78 and I'm almost positive this is an original Fender neck. It has a name of G. Garcia on it and also a sticker with 7 printed lines that include FRR and also a printed lett R. I just got off the Fender site and, while not specific, it does indicate that there were many variations on heel dating and that some necks didn't even have a date.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    :confused: You sure you're reading it correctly? Any way you could take a picture of it?

8. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No luck with getting the photo on this site. The stamp definately reads: 0102x1604.

Thanks, Tony

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've seen those stickers on fender necks, but they're not 70's necks, they're early to mid 1980's necks. I had an 83 strat with that sticker.