Need help identifying vintage Fender neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Jun 16, 2005.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Hi All:

I've got an older Fender Precision neck and on the heal it reads '0102x1604' and I hope one of you vintage buffs can tell me the year of manufacture.

Many thanks,

Tony Noriega, Tampa

2. Any vintage Fender neck I have ever dealt with had the date ink stamped on the heel. It would say something like JUL 12 72. I've never seen a code of any kind, just a date stamp.

3. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That's been my experience too!! I've never seen one like I have described. The characters appear to be stamped on, but are only 1/8" high instead of the approx 1/4" stamping I've seen before. Maybe someone will have the answer.

4. Could it be a replacement neck? I just called a local Fender dealer / Fender Gold tech and he told me he's never heard of anything different than you and I.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    is there a serial # on it?

6. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The body it came off of has a serial # that dates it to about '78 and I'm almost positive this is an original Fender neck. It has a name of G. Garcia on it and also a sticker with 7 printed lines that include FRR and also a printed lett R. I just got off the Fender site and, while not specific, it does indicate that there were many variations on heel dating and that some necks didn't even have a date.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    :confused: You sure you're reading it correctly? Any way you could take a picture of it?

8. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No luck with getting the photo on this site. The stamp definately reads: 0102x1604.

Thanks, Tony

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've seen those stickers on fender necks, but they're not 70's necks, they're early to mid 1980's necks. I had an 83 strat with that sticker.