1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help Identifying Vintage Jazz Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MVPBASS, Aug 20, 2012.

1. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    I got this in a trade and was told it was a modified '83 Fender American Jazz with a different neck plate, i know the guy and had no reason to doubt him so i gave him $1000 trade value for it. Now i am selling it and discover that the body is not an '83 jazz because it has no tilt adjustment. The other party takes full responsibility and is making it right but i need to know what it is so i can sell price it fairly and sell it without any repercussions.

Here is what the neck cavity of an '83 should look like....

View attachment 284814

...and here is mine

View attachment 284815

Here is the neck with the tilt feature

View attachment 284816

Please, anyone with knowledge of this problem, help me out so i can determine a value.

2. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    Where's all of the Fender heads?

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    To me your neck pocket looks MIJ, mid 80's to early 90's.

4. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think this one was an 85-87 "E" serial number-
    img1625ae.

5. IIRC, early 80's Fenders had that round disc-shaped thingamabob in the neck pocket. Somebody is bound to know for sure on here, but I THINK it's for the "micro-tilt" feature Fender offered back then.

6. Oops!! I just looked at the pics below on the OP's post, which mentions that particular option. So, I'm officially puzzled, too.

7. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    Yes, my neck has it but my body doesn't, that's why i need help. I have no idea what it is

8. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    FWIW, I had an '83 Jazz and it had a 4-bolt neck, no tilt obviously.

edit: it was the standard model that had a 1 piece pickguard(no chrome control cover)and strat knobs.

9. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    This one originally had a single ply, one piece guard but it was changed. This one is a for bolt (as seen in the neckpic), but still had the tilt.

10. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    Here is the body route under the guard. Keep in mind it had EMGs in it when i got it, the extra route was for the battery, the pickup cavity route is stock. HELP

View attachment 284908

11. I think it could be a '90s Mexican Fender, judging by the routing. They had the same size neck and bridge pickups.

12. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    Wouldn't it be stamped somewhere though? The guy that i got it from says he has had it since before Fender made a MIM

13. They don't stamp the bodies, just the necks. OK, so not Mexican if it predates them. Always tricky with bodies. You need someone who can recognise the hidden holes where they've attached it to a router or spray painted it.

14. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    I found an '83 jazz body on Ebay that is correct so I'll be replacing this one and selling it separate so i still need to find out what it is.