1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help ID'ing an Epiphone Gibson bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Found a pretty sweet used bass @ a pawn shop today. I like the price but before I pull the trigger I want to make sure that the price is good. In other words, I don't want to pay more than I should for the thing.

So I'm trying to figure out the model and such to price it. There was virtually nothing on it identifying it.

It is an Gibson Epiphone, with the little Gibson nameplate on the head.

It has the Precision/P bass style split coil pick up. It has one volume and one tone knob. That's pretty much it. It basically is identical to this Precision, but it's not a Fender (unless the neck was changed)

800px-P-Bass.

The only other thing I noticed about it was a sticker on the back that said the instrument was inspected in America. The pickguard still had the plastic with the 10 year warranty sticker on it.

Any idea about the model? The rough age of this thing?

2. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Could that be an Accu Bass?

3. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    looks similar to my accu-bass, but my bridge is brass.

maybe its been replaced?

does the headstock look like this one on the left?

[​IMG]

4. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure the headstock's the same as yours (on the left). It definitely had the little black Gibson namplate on the headstock.

Any idea the years these were made? I see that some Accu Basses were from Korea and around in the mid-90s.

5. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    i couldnt honestly tell you, ive had mine since 93

for what its worth, it sounds exactly the same it did when it was new. it was my only bass up until a few months ago

6. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    OK, so it could be 10-20 years old then.

7. Worth a couple hundred at most- if it's in good shape.

8. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    I liked it but don't want to overpay for it. The volume knob cover slides a bit, other than that it was in great shape. Needs a good cleaning. Pickguard still has plastic on it. No nicks or or dings.

$150 sound reasonable?

9. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Sounds about right to me for any of the modern era Epiphones.

10. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    if you can get it for 150, i would say go for it.

11. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd take that price, too, but I'd offer $120 to start

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, start around 115 or so, but 150 seems a fair price. It'll be a pretty good deal, all in all. Good luck.

13. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Maybe I'm too inexperienced to know what a quality bass feels and sounds like, but I really really liked they way it felt and played. No fret buzz at all. All the high and low notes were picked up. Nice, deep, warm sound.

The strings were crappy feeling on the fingers, but obviously that's an easy fix.

14. Offer 100 cash and they should go for 125 ish out the door.
    Go for it!
    Good luck!
    :bassist:

15. FSSmikey

FSSmikey

Mar 7, 2009
    Miami FL
    no doubt its a decent bass guitar. they hold up pretty well to abuse.

16. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Unless I hear something negative (haven't seen any complaints online about Accu Basses) or more comments come in that the price is high, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger tomorrow.

I'll see what I can do to get the price down further but it was marked at $350 or something ridiculous like that.