1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help,im having problems with my new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by witward, Dec 30, 2011.

1. witward

witward

Feb 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Whats up guys? I just purchased a used lakland 55-01 off of craigslist, i tested it out and everything seemed to be working good. When i got it home i noticed that whenever i slapped or played the strings with loud volume i would get a loud pop noise like i was pulling the cord in and out. At normal volume the bass sounds great. Ive checked the volume control for the pre-amp and its as low as it will go. I figure its the pre-amp because when i play it in passive mode it does not do it anymore. I dont know much about electronics so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. My first guess: The strings are hitting the pickup.

3. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Check for loose wires.

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    This is what is happening.
    Play easier, lower the pickups, play with your right hand in another position.
    Any combination of the above.

5. witward

witward

Feb 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Still doesnt explain why its not happening in pasive mode does it?

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If the 55-01 had pickups with exposed poles, I'd agree. However, I've never seen the Barts with covered tops make noise when the strings hit them.

My first guess would be that the contacts in the output jack are getting dirty or oxidized, and not transmitting either the output signal or the battery current very well. Try contact cleaner on the jack and see if that helps.

Mike

7. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    HI! Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This is not uncommon with the Bartolini MK-series pickups. As was mentioned earlier, you first want to lower your pickups. Make sure your neck pickup is a little lower than the bridge pickup.

The bass may benefit from new strings and a professional setup.

Get back to us and let us know!

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    May just be more sensitive to contact in active mode. Easy tweak to lower the pickups and see if it goes away. Talking about 15 seconds...

9. witward

witward

Feb 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks guys for responding so quickly. Ill try lowering the pickups...i hope thats what it is.

10. witward

witward

Feb 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Update! Ok tried playing softer, lowered pickups. It was still doing it so i thought id try something. I started knocking on the bass with my knuckle gently on the electronics side of the bass body and was able to reproduce the popping noise without playing at all. So now what could it be, Loose wire bad electronics. Advice please. Thanks

11. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like something is loose. I'd shoot an email to Lakland or head over to the Lakland Owners Group site. I betting you'll find the answer quick time.

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Just a loose wire (or cold/bad solder).
    Open her up, and GENTLY move each wire to reproduce the noise. You should find the culprit. Fix it.