1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help in choosing a bass;)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eyalbass, Jun 29, 2007.

1. eyalbass

eyalbass

Jun 29, 2007
    my first post - respect:)

im playing the bass for about 2-3 years now,
    and im using a beginners bass... it sucks....

so my birthday is coming up and i wanna choose a new bass
    but i dont really know anything about buying guitars:|
    anyway.... can i have some recommendations? im looking for a standard 4-string.

i dont really know what my budget is.... but not somthing too fancy;)

:help: :help:

2. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    well i just got rid of my beginner bass and i got a Fender Jazz...should be here soon btw lol....i think i twas a good choice....but if you like playing anything like rock and iu want a fender you should go with the precision....im using my jazz for grunge....all i can say is that no one can tell you what bass to buy, go to a local store try out some and then decide.

BTW Weclome to Talk Bass, its an awesome place to grow as a bass player and meet some really cool people.

3. eyalbass

eyalbass

Jun 29, 2007
    thanks for the help man:)

one more thing, should i go with fretless?
    or is it more suitable for pros?

4. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i have no idea about the fretless....all i can say there is that if your getting one, get one with the fret markers on it. Mainly because your just coming off your beginner bass and you probably wouldn't be able to hit every fret exactly, without seeing for a while were they lay on the fretboard, but again thats your decision....if your comfortable with it, then buy it!

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    MIM Fender Jazz or Precision
    Spector Legend Classic
    Ibanez ATK300
    Yamaha BB614

All under $500, all usable for most gigs. Play em all if you can and pick the one you like best.

6. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    my MIM Jazz was $640.00, it was originally $643.00 but he went as low as he could and added tax's and it came to $640.00...so i pretty much got taxs off.

7. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    you could go fretless, but are you willing to commit to the style change? It sounds like this next bass is going to be your primary. I have a fretless, just to have one to practice on. I would never have one as my primary bass because it doesn't suit my style. Its your decision, but I think if you're still learning then its better to stay fretted. You will also have more options if you stay fretted.

8. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You are in the Great White North, should have specified that prices might vary depending on location. I was looking at US prices. Was your MIM Jazz active by any chance?

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i was thinking the same thing about me being in Canada and the price difference lol, no its passive...i wanted a passive one, for some reason i dont think id want an active one...

10. eyalbass

eyalbass

Jun 29, 2007
    ill have to go check out this guitars... i hope they have it in the stores here.

and yeah.... i guess ill stay fretted:)

11. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    most stores will order in a bass if your interested in buying it...my friend was interested in the John Mayer Sig. guitar and they ordered it in for him to test out. Just ask if its in stock if not, ask would they be able to order one in to test.

12. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Out of curiosity, where are you? Doesn't say up by your username.

13. ernie ball musicman stingray, you could prob get one used maybe 800 if your lucky.
    amazing salp bass, rock, funk, blues, everything!!!!!!!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021