1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help in identifying a bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soma328, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Soma328

Soma328

Dec 23, 2017
    Hey! Yesterday I bought this bass guitar for really cheap (20€). The seller said it is from the 70's. I dont know anything about basses so please help me if you know anything about this guitar. I want to restore this guitar, there are some missing screws, one of the pots is not doing anything when turned, the other one adjusts the volume.
    Here are some pictures:

2. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    My guess: a home built project. The neck doesn't look very original to me, and the body looks like it was made a bit sloppy. Pickups look Japanese.

bholder and Soma328 like this.
  3. Soma328

Soma328

Dec 23, 2017
    Thanks a lot! Do you think that the pots are wired correctly? The upper pot is the non-working one, what resistance value does it have? Can I buy one from an electronics shop and swap it with that?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Take some closeup photos of the wiring & post them.

Yes, you can buy pots to replace the current ones.

You can check the value of the pots with a multimeter. (measure Ohms between terminal 1 & terminal 3):

potentiometer-pinout.

Soma328 likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Those are humbuckers so the pots should likely both be standard 500Kohm audio taper.

Soma328 likes this.
  6. Soma328

Soma328

Dec 23, 2017
    Thanks! Then I think I will buy one abnd test it. Could someone give me a wiring diagram because now it's really messy and I don't want to leave this way. Closeups:

7. Soma328

Soma328

Dec 23, 2017
    Why is the inside padded with tinfoil?

8. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    It's pretty hard to see for me if the wiring is correct. I'd resolder everything to see if it works, and if it doesn't I'd suspect a pickup or pot is broken or something. Replacing pots might work :)

There's tin foil in there to shield the electronics. Most people do that with copper foil but I guess tin foil might work too. It's supposed to reduce hum and interference from other electronics.

Soma328 likes this.