Need help in MN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon R, Apr 14, 2003.

1. I'm looking for someone to do some work on my fretless (in Minnesota). I need someone who will do quality work in a timely manner without requiring me to hawk my firstborn... any suggestions?
  2. He's the only guy I would take my guitars to for any major work. He's on Franklin Avenue in South Mpls. Don't know his price structure. If it's simple stuff (setup, fret dress, pickup installs) There's a guy at Groth Music who is pretty good - Felix Norman. Or check out Willie's American Guitars - with his reputation I'm sure he does excellent work. He's in St. Paul on Cleveland avenue I think, right next to Snuffy's malt shop - best malts in the Twin Cities.

Hope this helps.

3. Thanks for the tips basstrader.

Hmmm, for some reason the name Charles Hoffman seem mighty familiar...

I may just have to give him a call.
  4. sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    Willie's is good, I've had setup work done will need to leave it there for a minimum of 7 days though I believe. That was their typical turn-around time.
  5. Willie's is good, but can be slow. I wouldn't do Willie's unless you can stand to be away from your bass for more than a week. Other than that, they're great. You could also try Leonard Shapiro. He plays under the pseudonym "Moses Oakland". I'm not sure where he works out of, but he hosts the open blues jam at Famous Daves every Sunday.
  6. Leonard Shapiro does great work...he's a Fender "Gold" authorized repair person. He always runs an ad in the City pages and, I believe, in the Twin Cities Blues News. His number is (612)378-0886. He is on University Ave S.E.
  7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Charles Hoffman He put some PU in a guitar for me once-did a fine job

I had some work done on University Ave S.E down about 15 blocks south of 694. Don't know if that was Leonard Shapiro or not. It was in some Midwest Electric or sometning like that (the did a great job) got a guitar from a pawn shop all in parts-they put it all back together.
  8. John Brown of Brown's Guitar Factory in Inver Grove Heights also does very nice work!
  9. Wow. This is cool that there are this many Minnesota TB-ers. I thought there were only 3 or 4, but I guess they're all coming out of the woodwork. Neat!:)
  10. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    You could also try "My Music" on Highway 55. I talked with the owner and he seemed like a good guy... I've never had any work done there but that's where my boss takes all of his g*itars. They also are a skyline and parker dealer... so there's fun stuff to look at. :)
  11. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, "My Music" is cool. However, I will say it's worth the drive and the price to go down and see John Brown in Inver Grove Heights. You'll find him under Brown's Guitar Factory in the yellow pages. He blows me away and he's also a mean fretless bass player, so he knows what you need!
  12. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    ADD ME:D
  13. Who'd of ever thought it... still the Twin Cities are a hotbed of music so I guess it just makes sense. It's great to have so many places to choose from to take your bass to.

Would the same be true for amps?

Lastly, what ever became of Knut Kouppee?
  14. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Knut Koupee rocked! I still have an instrument cable with their name on it...

The only guy I'd talk to for amp work would be John Brown. I can dig up his phone number if you can't find it.
  15. I usually bring my amp to Willie's (only once i guess) and they send it out to Savage.
  16. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I also recommend John Brown, at Brown's Guitar Factory. He is from a Luhier, and instument making family, from New Ulm, Mn. He grew up, learning how to make and repair instruments, from his father. I also know his brother , who is a great jazz drummer, in Superior , Wisc. He does fine work, and is probably the best in the upper midwest. Check out his webite. He makes some of the finest high-end basses out. And to top it all off, he is a nice guy, and easy to talk to. As opposed to some aloof guys out there.
  17. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Jon -

Leonard is a great guy and he does excellent work!

Check him out here ...
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow, I hope in the past three years he found someone to work on his bass. Old thread.;)
  19. Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Mar 20, 2005
    Hoffams is awesome, but there not cheap. but they do damn good work!
  20. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Whoo! It's a party!