need help in wiring an vintage circuitry from an P-Style Bass from 1968

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AsturHero, Dec 5, 2016.

1. AsturHero

AsturHero

Mar 7, 2015
    Hello all,
    i have a little problem.
    I'am restaurating an old BAss and i'am a little confused about the original wiring.
    Normally i have no problems to resolder/putting together BAss electronics, but in this case i am confused.
    (since all the electronics works still after 48 Years i want to keep the many original parts on this Bass as many as possible)

a "normal" (from what i have seen until now) passive Circuity has the Capacitor soldered on the Tone Pot from the outer Pin to the Pot-Housing (Ground).

In my case, the Cap (047) is soldered from the middle Pin Tone Pot to the middle Pin from the Volume Pot....
    is this an mistake?
    or a common vintage circuitry?

if it is not a mistake, what is the reason to solder the Cap in this way and not in the common manner?

Thank in advance
    Asturhero

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It's not a mistake. It does not matter what order the tone pot and tone capacitor are in. Both wiring schemes sound the same.

jamro217 likes this.
  3. AsturHero

AsturHero

Mar 7, 2015
    super, thank you very much :)

4. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Installing the tone cap between two pots is another common guitar wiring. In every case, one leg of the cap should be connected to the tone pot and the other leg should be connected to ground. So, you can connect the ground leg to the tone pot body or the volume pot body or the ground lug of the volume pot.

52pbass.gif

c991db2aa47adc2e7f33e7d92bb8aa9b.gif

pbass.gif

[​IMG]

895784110_tp.jpg

IMG_2020-e1419802474734.jpg

This is uncommon. Are you sure the cap is connected to the middle lugs?

5. AsturHero

AsturHero

Mar 7, 2015
    yes i'm sure ;)
    look:
    cap.jpg

Thank you very much for the lot's of shematics/pictures.
    I will desolder the Cap and put one leg to ground instead of the mittle pin..and testing if the sound/efficienzy of the toneknob is better as before..if not i resolder it as it was ...thank you :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    The reason the tone cap went from being soldered between two lugs to being soldered and grounded to the tone pot was supposedly motivated by the concern it could get damaged if one of the pots worked loose and turned.

Even though the physical wiring looks different, from an electrical perspective, both ways to physically wire it still give you the same electrical circuit. That's why wiring diagrams don't tell you the whole story. You want a schematic diagram for that.

7. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    If you want to keep it as original, it's better not to experiment on the original parts. Keep the original controls as they are. Buy new pots, a cap and an output jack and try the standard control setup and see it's better or not.

If I see it correct on the photo, it's not the same circuit. It might sound the same but the circuit is different.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    The wiring may be different. But it's still the same RLC circuit. Basically you have a signal from the pickup going into a 2nd order lowpass filter. There are a variety of different ways to physically wire up such a circuit. But they're all equivalent (i.e. the same) electrically.

Looking at a photo for differences in physical appearance isn't going to make any electrical difference. The physical wiring isn't the same thing as the electrical circuit.

9. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    I wasn't talking about the physical differences or the physical wiring. I see a different circuit on the photo posted by the OP.

The standart tone control circuit has the tone pot between the vol pot and the tone cap (the other leg of the cap is grounded).

On the OP's photo, I see the tone pot is between the tone cap and the ground (the other leg of the cap is connected at the output).

As I said, it might function the same, but those two are not identical circuits. If you draw the scematics you'll have different circuits.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022