Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help! is this a good trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-monkey, Apr 2, 2005.

1. hey guys im wondering if this is a good trade or not. ive been offered a warwick fortress 5 plus cash for my proline 6. also, how much cash should i be asking for. with the cash i would probably have the bass and all the hardware painted a matte black like a thumb ive seen recently on here. not 100% sure of the TOS so if anything cant be discussed here PM me. thanks guys!

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, what model of Fortress is it? The high-end models had upgraded pickups and flamed tops, instead of the standard MEC's and Bubinga bodies. Also, I would not recommend painting teh tuners- just get a black hardware, paint would mess them up and flake off easy. A Standard Fortress 5 typically sells for $60-$800 on teh used market for reference, btu I'm not sure about the proline. Also, don't mess up a nice bass by painting it yourself- have a pro do it, otherwise you will regret it. Rememeber that a paint job is going to cost you around $200-$300 to have it done right, and changign the tuners, bridge, and knobs to black hardware will cost another $200 for quality parts.

3. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    why paint it??? i bet it looks good as is...i would never paint it....just my $0.0000002

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I felt the same way, but if he wants black then it is a matter of taste. It could look pretty cool if done well and correctly.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

I think you're messing some models up. They had the same electronics, as well, but some had different bridges (2-Tek)

b-monkey:
    If you think the Corvette is heavy and you don't need 6 strings, and if you tried that Fortress and think it feels just as good or better, then and only then consider the trade. If it has a wenge neck and yours doesnt, then it may be a plus, but make sure to try it before you trade.

Fortresses had a bit better balance due to the longer upper horns, but they were in other terms similar to other models (body woods, p-up configurations, electronics, etc) - except for the Flashback, which was very unique compared to the other models.

6. the plan was to have it professionally done and theres a guy down the road that will do it for pretty cheap. as for the hardwear i was planning on calling warwick (or dana b.) and ordering all the hardwear in black. the bass is one of the maple bodied one with the 2 J pickups. if you look back in one of the 'show your warwick' thread theres a thumb in matte black and i reallythink that the fortress would look good like that. thanks for the help