Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help. Lakland 4-94 or 44-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 23, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm GASin for a Lakland, and don't know whether to get a 4-94 or a 44-02. The thing is that I have never played a 44-02 or saw one in person. But, I own a 55-02 that I love and played a 4-94 that was just a dream. It was that 4-94 that got me GASin for a Lakland. I have a chance to possibly buy the 4-94 that I fell in love with, but it costs significantly more than a new44-02. The quarter sawn birdseye on the 4-94 is beautiful to look at and play on. An incredible feel on this neck, I tell ya. Does anyone know how much difference in the feel of the neck between a 4-94 and a 44-02. I'm not just talking neck radius, width and thickness. I'm also considering the feel itself (i.e satiny and smooth on the 4-94), as well as the frets as well (size, height, finishing,etc.).

I guess the 4-94 has the graphite reinforcement in the neck, and the 44-02 doesn't. Does it make that much of a difference? Not just in playability and stability, but durability as well.

Are there any other differences between the two?
    Like I said, I fell in love with the 4-94, but if a 44-02 will get me the same or pretty darn close, I'd rather save the extra $$.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I haven't played the 4-94 but I did go and play a 44-02. I had heard they were wider at the nut than I was used to - but I found that not to be the case. The 44-02 sounds great - feels great. Mine should be to me within a week or so - some sort of parts delay at Lakland in Chicago.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd say after playing the 55-02 for a while now, but still not having touched a 55-94 (tho I've spoken electronically to many vets), that the 55-94 is a much nicer instrument, with more options available to suit prefs... however... if you're tastes and budget are a bit more practical, the Skylines will DEFINITELY not disappoint!

Tone is very clear, sustain is great. Extremely versatile, same elex as the xx-94, fit and finish definitely worthy of the Lakland brand. I'm pretty persnickety about quality and have no problem paying for it if I have to, but at the same time, I don't spend money to impress people either. If it's well made, feels good, and sounds good, it goes in my collection as soon as the budget allows... or I just don't buy at all. It's that simple.

I'd say it's probably fair to say the diffs between the xx-02 and the xx-94 are "real, but very subtle and pricey." One could probably carry that over to simply say the Skyline is a better value, but that may be a bit more subjective to some. It's MHO anyway. :)

4. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    I've got both US and Skyline Laklands, and I say get the 4-94 if you can swing it. Is it used ? If so, the depreciation has already happened and your resale value will hold up. If not you will take a hit if you ever sell it. It sounds like the 4-94 really spoke to you, and that means a lot. Physical differences include the quartersawn (US) vs flatsawn neck, graphite reinforcement on the US neck, ebony dots on a birdseye maple board, incredible birdseye fretboard, US hardware vs "Hipshot licensed" and higher quality body woods. The electronics are the same. You say you have a 55-02, so you know how good the Skylines are, but the US models are a step up for sure. I always try to get the best I can possibly afford and then hold on to it. Either way you'll have a very nice bass.
    Steve

5. I think that if you have the money and are willing to spend it then go for the 4-94, but if you are working on a tight budget then I'm sure you would be real happy with a 44-02.

I think the general consensus is that the US laklands are worth the extra money for a particular group of people. you just need to decide if it is worth the extra money to you.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was reading someone's quote on another site yesterday that read, "The Skyline series is 80% of the bass for 50% of the price...it's up to you to decide if the extra 20% is worth the increase in costs..."

Some Skylines are setup in the Chicago shop, which seem (IMO) to play a bit better than those that aren't set up in Chicago. Those not setup in Chicago are still great, but I'd still recommend you play one first, if you have the opportunity. All USA models are setup in Chicago.

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I thought ALL Laklands, including ALL Skylines were set up in Chicago, which is one of the reasons the Skylines tend to be so darn nice. Where is this information coming from?
    :confused:

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My information comes from a visit with Carl Pedigo, the head setup guru at Lakland. I had an interesting conversation with him and Dan Lakin when they setup my Spector.

Where did you get your information? :confused:

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    A video tour/interview of their shop and Dan I downloaded from some site that was posted here a while back. I'll have to view it again, but I thought for sure Dan said they set up all the Skylines there... including putting the elex in.

http://www.sureshotproductions.com/corporate_video.html

Scroll down to...

"Interview with Dan Lakin the founder and creator of Lakland Basses. "

I'll re-review shortly, but if you've spoken to them directly and especially more recently, I'd consider your information authoritative at this point.

In any case, if my 55-02 wasn't set up in Chicago, it sure as heck feels and sounds like it! :)

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Thanks for all the replys folks, and it looks like I'll be getting the Lakland 4-94 Deluxe that I fell in love with when I was at Make N' Music in Chicago. It's new old stock, so it's between new and used (if there is such a thing).

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the price was absolutely amazing!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats a beauty. Love the grain on the back and the neck is sexy as well.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm pretty sure they put all the electronics in for all Skylines, but don't set up the fretboard on all Skylines.

I played a few Skylines at Bass Central a couple of weeks ago and I could tell the difference. The ones set up in Korea were GREAT basses. The ones set up in Chicago were as smooth as the USA models.:D

13. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Saw that one on Ebay - nice catch.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'll take yer word for it.

Well, I can't guarantee it until I actually play a 55-94, but the way my 55-02 feels, I can't imagine it wasn't a Chicago setup. It's just too awesome, and I was not officially sold on this bass until I played it for a few hours, and if you check my (now out of date) gear page below, you'll see I'm pretty familiar with quality. :) Also, hand picked by Dave and Joel at the Groove Shoppe (yes, they do send some back if they don't pass muster), which might be a good secondary indicator.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    DROOL!

Sorry, let me wipe that up for you... ;)

Congrats, it beautious...

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You've got some tremendous stuff there! :p :bassist:

I'm a HUGE MTD nut, and that thing is SWEET!!!

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks. I have been very fortunate to have worked up a pretty decent and very versatile collection. Missing still are my 5 and 6 strings Cirrus' (the 5 has an incredible flame top and a maple board... gotta' get pics up, the 6 is a trans red with very little figuring but awesome tone/action), a great Geddy Lee Jazz, and now the Lakland. I also have an Ibanez BTB 405QM, but that's just my beer (frat gig) bass.

I'd have to agree with you, but then I'm biased... ;) However, those Jerzy Drozd basses look pretty damn awesome, too. Wow.

(sorry about the off topic)

Back on topic, Jive1, I'd like to see a post here on the 94 after you've used it a while in the band or whatever. Since you have the same elex I do on my 55-02, I'd be very interested to hear what your fave settings end up being and why.

18. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Thanks!

Normally, I'd never buy a bass this expensive on Ebay. Since I actually had a chance to play this thing back in October for about an hour or so, I finally figured out why these things cost so much. Can't wait till I get it!

19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It's not on the Lakland site right now, but they used to have a section titled "The journey of a Skyline". Every instrument including Skylines go through Lakland quality control where every aspect of the instrument is adressed - fret filing, dressing, complete setup. Yes, your Skylines are (originally)setup by the Chicago pros...!

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They USED to be completely setup in Chicago...that was when the quality of the instruments produced in Korea was lower. Now that it's higher, Dan's crew gets less involved than they used to. That's why it's no longer on the site.;)