Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help - looking for new bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtpoulin, Dec 10, 2002.

1. jtpoulin

jtpoulin

Dec 10, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Hey,

I own a year-old Warwick Thumb neck through that I love to death! BUT! The fact that the bass body is so small and neck is so long means that when I play the bottom frets are very far away from my body. I have found out the hard way that this my left hand can't handle playing that low as it gets bent awkwardly when extended that far. Therefore I think I need a new bass. I love the sound and feel of my bass and I love the thin neck. Can you recommend any 4-string basses in the below $2500 that I might like? I'm looking for a good range of tone as my style can vary.

Thanks

Update!!: I have played many standard size basses and have had no problems. The thing about a smaller bodied bass is that the strap hooks on much further away from the head than on a standard bass. This in addition to the slightly longer neck of the Thumb is my concern. I think I would be able to play most basses without this problem.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Club Bass in Canada has a Sadowsky 4 with P/J p'ups for $1900 USD. Sadowsky's new Tokyo series 4's go for $2150. Or you could try a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 or 2 four string.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The only ones that I am aware of that would meet your criteria are the Fender "Stu Hamm" Urge I and the Fender Mustang. Perhaps someone else may know of other short-scale basses. I think Alembic may have some short scale models that are on the market.

Dan

4. jtpoulin

jtpoulin

Dec 10, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, but I don't think I need to anything drastic. Something more standard in size than the Thumb would be significant enough of a difference. I have modified my original post to be a little more specific about my problem

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    In that case, I would think that anything from Fender, Yamaha, Peavey, or Ibanez would suite you.

Perhaps your best bet is to go to a music store and play a bunch of basses and see which ones you like.

Dan

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are in love with the Thumb sound, check out the Streamer Stage II.

IMHO it gets very close to the Thumb sound, but without all of the negative ergonomics of the Thumb design.

It is very well balanced, and having a larger body, the reach to the first position is much easier than the Thumb.

Jasonbraatz had exactly the same reach issue with his Thumb, and replaced it with a Streamer Stage II. He should be along sometime today with his opinion on this as well.

7. Lakland makes some cool stuff. you can get a used US model for about $1500. the 44 series.

if you live around a place with a good variety of basses go and play a bunch. look at places like:

http://www.bassnw.com
    http://www.basscentral.com

they have a lot of stuff and they are both real nice to call and talk too they could tell you about some stuff.