Need help making a decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 5, 2005.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Fender Roscoe Beck V that I am considering trading for a 4-string since I have found that I rarely ever use the B-string in what I play. I want a bass with versatility. I have two great offers and I'm stuck trying to decide - what would you do?

Offer #1: Brand new Fender Marcus Miller 4-string & $200

Offer #2: Fender MIJ '60s reissue Jazz with J-retro

Both are pictured below. I am a Jazz bass player so they both offer that, but which one would be more versatile and have a better retrade or resale value?

Pictures are below.

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    the RI with the J retro will have a better value, and IMO, more versitility with the J retro. The MM has a thinner neck, and definetly has the looks factor. You choose.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Marcus Miller is active and passive, so there's versitility there.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would personally go for the Marcus Miller.
  5. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    get the miller and sell me the RI. seriously though, i think the resale is slightly higher on the RI but the $200 would make up for it. i think whatever bass looks better to you. the sound quality and build is about the same is about the same but the MM will be more versatile. hmm, id take the miller i think but only because of the money, thats a good deal. and then seriously, sell me the RI, its exactly what ive been looking for
  6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I do like the looks of the Marcus Miller better but I've heard sketchy things about the preamp and it's only 2 band. Is there a Bartolini preamp that would fit the Miller's control configuration? I could use the $200 to buy a better preamp.

If not a Bart preamp, what else would work well? It has four knobs in a row and one switch, so it can't be something that is set in a different configuration, like on a circuit board.

7. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Marcus all the way. I played one last week. Amazing bass!
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    How's the preamp on the Marcus Miller? How are the pickups?
  9. i'd say the miller. the cash is what really makes the deal though.
  10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Let's say the cash wasn't part of the deal (because I won't play the cash and it'll probably disappear quickly) - which would be the better bass overall? I'm a fingerstyle player and have yet to learn how to slap/pop. Overall, which would be the most versatile tonally and in terms of types of music I could play them with?

On a different note - what if I used the cash (and some other cash of course) to install a U-Retro Deluxe in the Miller? Now which would be the better instrument?
  11. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Before I played it, I thought a 3 band active EQ was something I had to have. The bass I just ordered has a 2.

I found it very versatile. I play fingerstyle and got a variety of greta tones out of it, as well as an amazing slap tone.

It was easily the nicest Jazz bass I've ever played (it beats out all MIA's I've played without any trouble) If I hadn't wanted a fretless so much, the Marcus Miller would've been my next purchase.

Good luck on your decision!
  12. i am just a sucker for the natural finish. id go with the marcus
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Not to be picky, but John East makes a preamp designed specifically for replacing the MM preamp. It's the same as the J/U-Retro, but it'll drop in a bit cleaner. Just FYI...