Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help making a Nice Pro Bass Rig!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twilightcall, May 29, 2004.

1. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Ok guys, here is my question. I just got a Pre Ernie Ball Stingray that is very very nice. So now I am looking for a good Professional grade rig. I would prefer some portability but it needs to be loud enough for band practice and gigs that I can't run through the PA.

I am currently using a solid state Peavey 70s head with a 1x18 cabinet which I think is too big and it sounds a little farty with my new bass.

I mainly play with a pick and mostly rock. (collective soul, e. johnson, some 80s like quiet riot, van halen, and mid 90s and up, alternative I guess)

I don't want a trebly tone but I do want the bass to come through the mix. When I use my 1x18 it doesn't get through the mix well at all. Everyone tells me to turn up and I keep turning up but it doesn't cut through very well.
    Take into account I don't know alot about Bass Rigs so please let me know what would work out well with my playing style and Stingray. Something I could use and be proud of my sound. Thanks.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Sounds like you want some good driving bass along with some definition and cut. I would either go with a good 4x10 that has good lows (Acme B4, Ampeg SVT-410HLF, etc)or if you want something a bit more portable you can go with (2) 2x10's or even a 2x12 with a 2x10 sitting on top. An Aggie 2x12/2x10 setup would be nice.

Go with a good stereo/parallel power amp like a QSC PLX 1602 or 2402 and then the preamp of your choice.

3. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks. Can you recommend a few pre amps that would sound nice with a Stingray? Will a 4x10 get low enough? Thanks Again.

4. What Peavey head do you have? The early Peavey Series 400-era heads put out 210 watts into 2 ohms, but only 150 or so into 4 ohms, and around 100 or less into 8 ohms. So if your cab is only 8 ohms, you're not using much of the amp's potential, plus the old 18 inch cabs are both not very efficient and also too limited in the mids or higher. (The later "Mark" series put out 210 watts into 4 ohms.)

Perhaps a cost-effective solution may be to get a more efficient cab, a 4 ohm 4x10, 2x10 or 2x12. You could even augment that with a 1x15--how about a 2x10 and a 1x15, both 4 ohms, giving you a 2 ohm load (assuming you do have an amp which will run into 2 ohms). Then down the road upgrade the amp.

I've run my old series 400 into a 2x15 together with a 4x12, and while the volume level wasn't deafening, it did quite well. For more perceived volume, boost the mids slightly, leave the bass flat or even cut it slightly.

5. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    It isn't a 400 series head. I think it is a Centurion Mark II or III series. Thanks.

6. Regardless of the amp, though, I think you're limited by the cab, so a cab upgrade would be the first order of business. :bassist:

7. That "farty" sound is most likely because the Ernie Ball has active electronics and is clipping the Peavey head. A pick adds even more volume/gain. I had this problem with an active bass going through an Acoustic head. Be careful, too much volume and the speakers could blow.

You need an amp/preamp with active/passive inputs or pad to reduce the gain from the Stingray. I believe all new amps have this feature...but look for this if buying used.

I recommend the Aguilar GS212. It has plenty of booty, and is somewhat portable at 70 lbs. I prefer this cab over a pair of GS112's, which are more portable, but don't sound as tight to me. I've also matched the 212 with a SWR Goliath Jr. III (2x10) with good results. What are you looking for from the amp, tube, solid? Also, how much are you willing to spend?

8. 70's all tube SVT.

SVT 8x10 cab.

That's all you'll need.

9. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

Damn right! You cant f**k with Ampeg baby!

10. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    The Ampeg SVP-Pro, or the new SVP-CL will sound great with a Stingray. Nice warm growl, and you can dial in a bit of overdrive to your liking. I use the SVP-Pro with my (not pre-EB, but oh well) Stingray 5 with great results. Go to http://www.basstasters.com to listen to a few different pre-amps, and decide what you like best. Depending on your budget, a good 1000-2000 watt poweramp will do you good. Look into these, QSC PLX series, Carvin DCM series, QSC RMX series, Crest, Peavey.

As said before, it sounds like a new cab should be your first order of business. I don't know what your budget is, so I'll throw out a few suggestions. Ampeg, classic tone, can't really go wrong with these, $400-$800, depending on what model, and if you buy new or used. Avatar, vaired tone, you can get quite a few different sounds by just adjusting the tweeter, high quality for little dough, about $200-$400. Hartke, 80's metal tone, they have a few different cabs, but they are most famous for their aluminum coned cabs, but will run you from about $300-$600. Eden, very warm, low-mid thump tone, higher end cabs, and will cost you from $500-1000. There are many others, too many to list, so browse this board a bit to find out more.

A 4x10 will get plenty low, maybe not the real deep, fundamental note tone, but they will punch through enough to where you can feel it. But try out 2x10's, 1x12's, 2x12's, 1x15's, 2x15's, to get a feel for what you like.

Don't take my word as absolute truth though, go out and listen to many different amps, cabs, pre-amps, etc, and find out what you think sounds the best.

11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah I think before I can really make some detailed suggestions I need to know your budget and what kind of music environment it is

12. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks Guys. Wow that is a lot to choose from. Tube or solid state is fine with me. I am not very picky. I just want to have a nice rig to compliment my bass and something I can use to play out or auditions, etc.
    I am flexible with my budget. I have put aside a good chunk for a nice rig. Now that I got my bass I want to get a pro rig that I can use for years or so. I would say no more than $2000 or so for a bass amp rig.
    To be honest guys I am not too picky about my tone. I don't want an amp with too many features as I will probably not use them all. As for right now I don't use any effects.
    There was an amp made by Fender called the Rumble Bass that seemed nice but I haven't seen one in a while. It was all tube. Do you guys recommend these? Thanks Again.

By music environment do you mean clubs and band practices? Well, I do want it to be loud enough as sometimes I play in places without PA and need to be loud enough to be heard over drums, 2 guitars both halfstacks and vocals.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Ha, if you want simple, go Orange. I think they have... 6 knobs? Anyway, they are incredibly simple, and sound great. But they are British Botique stuff, so you'll end up spending a lot on that.

I second the SVT stack.

14. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    SVT head and Ampeg 8x10 isnt exactly the most portable thing ever, however it would sound good.

You could also go like this:

Ampeg SVP-Pro or SVP-CL or Sansamp RBI or Trace Elliot V-Type preamp

QSC PLX 1602

Bergantino NV610 or Ampeg SVT-610HLF or Aguilar GS412

Bridge the 1602 down and put 1600 watts into the Berg/Ampeg/Aggie.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Mesa 400+ into Mesa Powerhouse cab (not the model, but the actual cab: 4x10+1x15). You'll rock ANYTHING, even Ampeg! :p :bassist:

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You'll rock/destroy EVERYTHING with that! :D

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Might as well just get 2 then! :D

Actually, I want a 2x15 and 6x10 rig. 1 M-Pulse 600 and 1 400+. Dream rig. Easy.

I'd blow through SVT stacks like they were SWR LA Combos! :D

18. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I play a Stingray and I also work in a music store so I get to test drive almost everything out there, I've also owned most of the amps and cabinets mentioned in previous posts. I do agree that a nice 4x10 cabinet will definetly bring you up and in front of the mix. Look for something with ports this will help increase your overall low end and rumble while still giving you nice clean highend for those bass solos you might have waiting in the wings. An Ampeg SVT410HLF if you want to spend around $599, I'm sure you've also seen the Ampeg portabass stuff, its really loud and very very light and portable, but not cheap. I had an Ampeg 8x10 which I loved but the portablity issue recenlty came up and I went with a high powered smaller setup (Mesa 210 and Mesa 115) this setup is very well rounded full range and is easy to move around with one person. Again price is the factor here, high end American made stuff probably run you around $1100
    I'll think about the head thing and get back to ya.

Thanks

19. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hehehe...I've got it...it'll destroy small communities with the right power behind it! :hyper:

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Awesome. I see you are a fellow member of the greatest country (or state, if you're not from 'round here) in the world! :) I'll probably be moving up there (Dallas or Ft. Worth, maybe Arlington or Lewisville, not sure just yet) after graduating in December. Do you gig, and with who, when, etc? I'd like to maybe come to a show or something if you guys are rocking out or maybe meet at a G.C. sometime and mess around a bit, trade tips, etc.. My ex-gf was from Grapevine, and so I'm not up there as much as I used to be, but my current one may be going to school at UNT, so I could be up there a lot more often this next fall. Anyhow, if you're ever down in the Austin area on a gig, let me know!