Need Help!! Matching cab for a GK 400 RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuno A., Feb 2, 2004.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hello there, i need to buy a cab for a GK 400 RB head, im thinking about a 4 X 10" , i would like to have something hi-fi but not super expensive( if that cab exists..) ,since the head puts 240 w at 4 ohms, i will need a 4 ohms speaker, by the way i will play upright bass almost.
    thanks in advance
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That head is too weak to push a 4x10
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Avatar speakers is very affordable good quality stuff. They make a 4x10" in a 4 ohm version. Your head will push it fine.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I had the same head and it couldn't push an ameg 4x10 very well. I'd say get like a 2x10 or a single 15. Don't listen to us, take your head to the store and jack into some cabs and try it out for yourself. I sold that head because of that.
  5. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    If you insist on a 4x10, pay attention to the cabinet efficiency. A 102 EPndB instead of 99 EPndB is like the difference between a 480w head and a 240w head - i.e. 3 EPndB is worth a doubling of the amplifier power. Unfortunately, some manufacturers don't publsih efficiency - such as Fender, Mesa and Avatar. I have heard anecdotal evidence that the Avatars seem efficient, but digging into the Eminence speaker specs seems to say otherwise - i.e. below 100.