1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help!! Matching cab for a GK 400 RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuno A., Feb 2, 2004.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello there, i need to buy a cab for a GK 400 RB head, im thinking about a 4 X 10" , i would like to have something hi-fi but not super expensive( if that cab exists..) ,since the head puts 240 w at 4 ohms, i will need a 4 ohms speaker, by the way i will play upright bass almost.
    thanks in advance

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That head is too weak to push a 4x10

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Avatar speakers is very affordable good quality stuff. They make a 4x10" in a 4 ohm version. Your head will push it fine.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I had the same head and it couldn't push an ameg 4x10 very well. I'd say get like a 2x10 or a single 15. Don't listen to us, take your head to the store and jack into some cabs and try it out for yourself. I sold that head because of that.

5. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    If you insist on a 4x10, pay attention to the cabinet efficiency. A 102 EPndB instead of 99 EPndB is like the difference between a 480w head and a 240w head - i.e. 3 EPndB is worth a doubling of the amplifier power. Unfortunately, some manufacturers don't publsih efficiency - such as Fender, Mesa and Avatar. I have heard anecdotal evidence that the Avatars seem efficient, but digging into the Eminence speaker specs seems to say otherwise - i.e. below 100.