1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help! Mesa problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fathand, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    I've got a problem with my Mesa Big Block Head and I'm hoping someone could clarify me a bit about what might be going on inside there.

Symptoms:
    - The sound fades in and out, but comes out of the cabinet
    - Sometimes the signal goes as far as the dedicated tuner out, sometimes even it doesn't get a signal. (If I recall correctly, it should be right after the input in the signal chain)
    - The foot pedal ceases to work all of a sudden. No mute, or changing the channels. The indicator lights go out, so it doesn't get a signal either.

I've checked the cab & instrument cables, they're ok. Bass also works without a problem (not even a hiss)

I guessing it could be a connection problem with the input plugin, or some other bad connection in the signal flow (the pre tube maybe)??

All help is appreciated. :)

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    This is a hard one it sounds very much like a dry soldered joint in the pre amp power supply, what with indicator lights coming and going.
    But without having it on the bench and wiggling stuff about and checking voltages, its hard to tell exactly.:meh::meh:

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Fathand.

Zero Mesa Boogie experience here, but since your amp's foot-switch is also acting up, then the problem may be more complicated than a pre-amp tube.

Have you contacted the nearest Mesa Boogie International Service/Repair center?

4. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    I haven't contacted them yet, I'll take it to the Finnish dealer/distributor when I have the chance / if it's necessary (see below). I also have a tech I know who has fixed amp heads before so I might let him take a look at it also.

It stopped working somewhere between 2 gigs, I was about to do a soundheck when this problem occurred. It's in a rack case, so it should be protected + I know no one has bashed it anywhere. The only thing I can imagine is that we had to store our gear in the car during the night, and it's still winter here -> could it be a moisture issue? I haven't tried it since, but it's been in our rehearsal place since the gig and should be all dry now (if it was about this). I can test it tomorrow when I have the time.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Mmmm! Always allow cold gear to warm up to room temperature before plugging it in, much less switching it on.

Condensation, along with thermal stress (some electrical components heating up while others remain cold/frozen) is the reason why.

You may wish to consult with your tech in case you have to bring him your amp anyway.