Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help! Mesa Wiring problem....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pullejo, Jan 25, 2003.

1. pullejo

pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Hey gang...I need a little help here. Seems like my Mesa 5410 PowerHouse and gotten ticked off at me for playing so loud and decided to fall apart a wee bit.

On the rear connection panel, one 10 ohm (capacitor or resistor - I'm no electrical wizard) has broken lose on one end, and the other is competely off! I can resolder the one that I can tell where it goes no problem, but the other one - well.. I've got no idea where it goes. I've attached a picture so you guys can see. If anyone has any idea, please let me know! I've already called Mesa but they're closed on weekends of course.

2. pullejo

pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    I went ahead and soldered back the 10 ohm thingy I could tell where it went - it was originally wired up for use only when the cabinet is in "high" mode. So...in high mode (which I played with anyway) it sounds fine now. However, I'd still like to find out where the heck that other 10 ohm thing goes...

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You should be able to see where the broken ends of the leads are...

4. pullejo

pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Yeah - that was my idea - to hunt for the broken leads.

But you really can't tell. The one resistor (or whatever it is) that was broken on one end I could easily tell - so I went ahead and soldered it back on.

The one that was completely broken free...you can't tell at all.

:(

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Since you've reattached one of them, perhaps you've tampered with the evidence enough that the solder joints won't show where the other resistor goes.

The good folks at Mesa should be there today...perhaps giving them a jingle would be a good idea.

6. pullejo

pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Called and left another message w/ tech support.

'Hope they get back to me.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked at the photo again...wouldn't one lead of the resistor go to the middle terminal of the switch (assuming that's what it is)?

If I could hold it in my hands, I could tell you. But I can't.

Mesa would be the best bet...

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have almost the identical same.
    Mine does not even have the white/black double wires like John's does.

John, where do the wires go that are bundled and taped.

I have one set of twisted black/white to one plastic jack, and another to the second. However there seems to be a third B/W on yours.
    Can you pull a side handle and tell where it goes to?

9. pullejo

pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    I just have two sets of black/white twisted wire sets....and they both go to the 2 1/4" 8 Ohm output jacks. I have noooo idea where they go internally in the cabinet.

I'm really hoping Mesa gets back to me.

I just played for almost 2 hours with the cabinet on "high" and it sounded just fine (awesome as usual). But...I'd like to have the full range of the cab. back.

10. pullejo

pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Oh, and I totally agree with BillyB_from_LZ about the middle terminal...it definitely looks like the 10 ohm thingy goes there....but from there to where I can't tell.

:confused:

11. Rockbobmel

I just talked to Kevin Robertson at Mesa, and he sent me a wiring diagram, but it is for the Lpad style. And it does not show the resistor thingies.
    If anyone wants it, email me and I'll forward it.
    I can't repro it because of webtv.

He also tried to find an actual jack plate, but couldn't.
    He went beyond the call of duty. Great guys at Mesa!!!!

I'll try a new post.

12. Rockbobmel

Could you send another pic after the fix please?

Also, I can't tell where the taped or insulated two wires are attached.
    And, could you please tell where those wires go to??
    It's easy to see with a flashlight and a side handel removed.
    Thanks Much, Bob