1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help, mini amp for like 55 bucks or my 70 bucks computer speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Is it worth getting that cheap little amp?Its a Ibanez GA1B. Will it sound alot better than my computer speakers (2 normal speakers + a bass box thing)?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yes. You need at least some sort of bass amp to hear what you are pleying well. Plus, you may be damaging your computer speakers. You should probabally look used and see if you can get something a bit better than that though. Lots of people get fustrated with their little amps, especially when they join a band and can't be heard.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Do you own any other amp? If not, you can't exactly take your computer speakers with you if you want to jam with a friend. I say go for the little practice amp.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Honestly? There was a time where all I had in terms of non-headphone playing was my 3-piece PC speaker setup (a beat-to-death Peavey TNT-150 was not worth draging 1/3 of the way across the country to school) but with the sub set decently I got a surprisingly rich tone from it. Much better than any "lowest of the low starter speaker" I've tried.

All the previous thoughs are good ones (damaging the speakers, jamming with others) but I can vouch that it's "do-able".

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought a Peavey Microbass when I got back into playing. I sold it because if I practice at home without my rig it's plugged directly into my soundcard.

It's been at least 3 years and I've had ZERO damage to speakers, computer, bass... anything.

6. I go Bass --> BP-50 --> Ibanez Bass EQ --> Soundcard, sounds good for practising at home, the only thing is it lacks a little high end, don't get that *snap* when popping. Although I can't see how any damage could be done to your speakers, so long as you follow the general rule of listening to what they are doing.

7. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I'd buy the practise amp. I was invited to play with a pianist at a church event, to play a melody part. The Peavey Microbass amp was fine in that setting. You sure cant bring your computer in for those low sound level musical settings now can you?

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    For at home practice I play through my computer (sub/sat) speaker set. I got through a Behringer 802A mixer (< $50)into my soundcard. Nice warm tone. Great for learning tunes from cd or mp3. I recently got a Yamaha Magicstomp EB so I have some amp modeling, effects, and a tuner.