1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help modifying a vintage mofidied jazz bass to be more vintage

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kipaste, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey!

I gave up playing bass for a few years. It didn't last. My pride and joy was a MIA 78 fender jazz which I sold and now regret. I decided I'm not going to spend thousands on a bass anymore, so I bought a vintage modified squier jazz bass. Very nice bass for the money, I must say. Also the first maple fretboard bass I've ever owned. I think I'm going to allow myself to spend a few more hundreds on this thing, so I have some questions.

I'd like to apply some lacquer on the neck to get that nice tinted colour. Is the lacquer called nitrocellulose or something similar? Where can it be bought from and is it easy to apply? Also, do I apply the lacquer on the fretboard also?

Also the hardware needs to go, I guess fender tuners and badass bridge will do the trick?

As I used to own more expensive instruments, I've never really changed pickups. I really wan't to keep it passive, but what kind of pickups should I look at? Soundwise, the only thing I'm looking for is FAT. Does anyone have any recommendations?