Need Help Narrowing Down Choices for 1st Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Budslide, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Alright, I've been reading threads for about a month now and I rented a Squier P-bass and Crate 25watt amp for two months, and now I have to decide what bass I want to buy.
    I've read most of the threads on what bass to choose for you, and I've narrowed down my choices too: (keep in mind a $200 max)
    Essex from rondo music (what kind would I be looking for?)
    Fender P-bass from ebay
    Fender squier P-bass from musicans friend
    Ibanez GSR-200 from musicans friend

also, I'm probably going to be getting a bassman 60 combo amp, is there anything horrible bad about this that would make me change my mind?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I've heard a lot of good stories about the SX basses. But I have never played one.

My brother has a Squier J-Bass. I'll play it every once in a while. I have no complaints about it.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. well, all things considered, provided it doesn't what type of music you want to play or what kind of sound you are looking for, I would suggest the Essex. If you want to get specific, look at the SJB-62 for $120. its a better price for a pretty good all-around bass. I wouldn't mess with squire, they are usually trouble (not all of them, just the ones I try at my guitar store ;))
    I can't help you much with Ibanez, they haven't impressed me nor have they upset me. But I will say, go for the Essex, plus if you have a problem, the customer service is great.
  5. yea, after spending the last hour reading the essex megathread, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with an SX, still not sure what one yet.
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    when you say SX are you refering to the whole rondomusic bass selection, or do the brice's not count
  7. Well, if you go Essex get one of the SPB ones (the p-bass ones if I remember are like all SPB-## - ## referring to some number). I only say this because you were looking at a Fender P-bass and a Squier P-bass. I have an Essex, 5 string, and it rules :D Good basses for the money!
  8. Rondo Music sells both SX and Brice, but the Brices are "higher end" basses as to the SX. For a first bass an SX would be just dandy :D
  9. What was it in the mega thread that has made yo decide on the Essex bass?

You said that you have been renting the Squire, correct? Do you like the Squire and the Crate amp?

My point, you can put the "rental money" towards the purchase and save yourself a few bucks.

Second, you will be purchasing a bass that you are already familiar with.

10. if youg et the essex, just make sure you also take into account that you'll need to pay someone to have it professionally setup.
  11. ^^Why is that?

I was thinking about that, and I wouldn't really be saving any money, because the store I rented it from wants outrageous amounts of money for everything they have. ie $300 for a 25 watt crate thats 3 years old.
    What made me decide I want a essex is the fact that almost everyone that got one liked it, and price is very very right.
  12. I've owned a GSR-200, an American Fender P-bass, and just recently bought a close-out SX BG-180 from Rondo Music (I'll be filing a full user report in the Essex MegaThread after I spend some more time with the BG).

The build quality on the GSR-200 is a *little* better than the SX, but the tone of the SX is orders of magnitude better. I got really tired of the wimpy sound of the GSR and pretty much stopped playing it, but I sometimes just pluck a note on the BG and listen to it till it dies out (the sustain is also much better than the GSR). It's really rich and full. On the P pickup it's *almost* as nice as on the Fender P-bass. And the SX was 1/2 the price of the GSR.

I've played some Squires in the stores, and my general impression is that they're on the same level as the GSR in terms of build quality. I'll let others comment on the sound.

My opinion would be to go with an SX - by far the best bang-per-buck bass out there. The BG was a close-out model (Rondo Music only has a couple left that they're blowing out for $99). I've heard that the newer models are even better.

Good luck with the search.
  13. well that pretty much ends that conflict!

Thanks Bill for the information, and thanks to the rest of TB'ers for their help as well.
  14. Eric, you say the P pickup is "almost" as nice as the one on your Fender, but is it a MIM fender? I've heard from many SX owners that it is better than their MIM Fender, but not as good as a MIA or MIJ.
  15. MIA Fender = :D

Essex = :)

Squier = :meh:

GSR200 = :spit:
  16. IMO,the GSR is 100x better then Squier.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the Squier. THey differ in quality. Id say a good quality squier (oxy moron?) is about as good as the GSR. THe essex's on the other hand, IMO, are always better than Squiers.
  18. Build quality aside, I think the Squier Affinity P-bass sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than any cheap-o Ibanez.

But that's just my opinion, whatever floats your boat is cool. :)
  19. Tyler, in response to your question:

> Eric, you say the P pickup is "almost" as nice
    > as the one on your Fender, but is it a MIM
    > fender? I've heard from many SX owners that
    > it is better than their MIM Fender, but not
    > as good as a MIA or MIJ.

As I stated in my response, it was a MIA P-bass. Yep, the SX *almost* captured that P-bass thump! I was pretty impressed. I haven't heard a MIM Fender bass recently to compare back-to-back, but I would guess the SX would beat it hands-down.

And it definitely beats the GSR-200.