1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help on buying a portable music listening device

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vacume, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    I was thinking i would buy a ipod nano and just look through a bunch of stores to find the best price but my freind told me Sony just came out with something just as good but cheeper:meh: anywon know wut my freind might be talking about or help on wut 2 buy? i dont really need something that takes pictures or video

2. Well depending on how much space you are requiring will greatly determine what you should get. Since you mentioned an Ipod nano, which runs 2 to 4gb, I am assuming you want something around there.

As far as things besides the nano, I am a big fan of creative labs products. There are products like the Zen Neeon which come in 5 or 6gb, 16 hour battery, as with any creative labs mp3 player, you dont need itunes to use it as with ipod products, comes in many colours, fm radio, built in voice recorder, etc..

I highly suggest you research some creative labs products.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, it depends on your music collection and what you plan on using it for. If you just want something small, then look elsewhere from an iPod. I have an iPod video, so I can't exactly speak about anything else. But I hear good things from Creative Labs, and my experience with Sony is that it might not have as many features as another product, but they're more quality over quantity. So you'll get a well built MP3 player with very good battery life. Sadly, I can't throw any model names at you.

4. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    I'm waiting for the Microsoft Zune to come out on Nov 14. check them out on amazon, they look really neat

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    How much are you looking to spend? My Sony Vaio Pocket is on ebay right now...I needed to move onto something with decent software (Sony's are pretty bad IMO)..

However, I just bought a Refurbished 60 Gig Ipod from Apple...pretty happy with it. The Zune also looks to be an interesting contender, although I don't like how they DRM'd the WiFi...

6. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree that the Zune looks like a really nice player. But this sort of has me worried about it. I can't see it going very far if it won't play stuff from Napster etc...

EDIT: Forgot to add, I've heard a lot of good things about the Creative players, and I think Sandisk if you're looking for something smaller. I also know a couple of people with iPod Nano's that are happy.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I own an older Creative Labs Zen Micro, and I'm glad I didn't buy an iPod!

The new Zen Microphoto looks awesome, and it costs as much as my Zen Micro did ($200 US) but it can do so much more, and it's 8 GB as opposed to 5 GB...

Don't you hate it when technology advances quickly enough to make you want to upgrade? :(

There's a few other new Creative mp3 players I've seen around too. Check www.creative.us for all of the info you could ever ask for on their stuff!

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    iPod all the way.

9. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
  10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    When its about sound,Creative is the way to go.i-pod don't have an adjustable e.q. where as my Creative Muvo has a 4 band graphic which helps alot.4 gb is really enough,just don't drop it to the floor as it has a hdd.

On a side note,do not buy any of SONY products without trying.I bought a discman and learned SONY decided to reduce the max volume level.With the volume MAXed,there was no bass which sucked the most.Also I couldn't hear anything when I was outside so I had to buy that Muvo.I'm glad I did,couldn't be happier.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Also look into Sandisk Sansa.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021