Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help on choosing new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Sep 25, 2005.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I've recently decide to invest in a good "professional" bass. I've narrowed it down to a few things that are available to me through local stores:

Lakland 55-94 (or Classic)
    Spector NS-JH5-EX
    Spector Euro LX 5
    G&L 2500

I currently play Warwick basses; 4 strings however. I played a 5 string ESP before these basses and now I am looking for a solid higher-end 5 string. Basically, something that will "sing" in studio and live. The key here is being able to cut through a Marshall half-stack w/ aGibson LP Custom. The band is jesusly-loud. Hard-hitting drums w/ double kicks.

The music is pretty much rock, but always has something odd added into it. Slightly progressive at times. I really dig the tone the bassist of Finger Eleven has (even though I am not a fan of the band), hence looking at Lakland. However, some of my favorite records have Spectors being used. I also hear the G&L 2500 has a lot of aggressiveness in a live situation.

There's two considerations...first, hands are not all that big. I can play a MM Stingray 5 for long periods of time without any trouble...if that helps. So, neck comfort would be key in this situation. Second, I can only test 5 string Skylines and the G&L 2500 in the stores. The rest I cannot "try before I buy". What would you suggest?

EDIT: I own an Eden WT800 w/ D410XLT cab. If that helps any....

2. The Euro LX 5.

Do it.

3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i find the MM5 to have more comfortable neck than any other 5 i've tried.

4. Sadowsky. Out of that list, Lakland.

Edit: Saw that you use Eden. Lakland->Eden is monster cool. This, and the neck profiles are pretty slim.

5. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I tested a 55-02 and I dig the neck, and I hear the 55-94 neck is even nicer. Not to mention the sound.

I'm ordering a 55-94 (pending availability). Hopefully the maple neck and perhaps even the SD pickups to give it more bite. I'm going to try and get a teal sunburst or transparent blueish one...

Thank you all!