Need help on choosing new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Sep 25, 2005.

1. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I've recently decide to invest in a good "professional" bass. I've narrowed it down to a few things that are available to me through local stores:

Lakland 55-94 (or Classic)
    Spector NS-JH5-EX
    Spector Euro LX 5
    G&L 2500

I currently play Warwick basses; 4 strings however. I played a 5 string ESP before these basses and now I am looking for a solid higher-end 5 string. Basically, something that will "sing" in studio and live. The key here is being able to cut through a Marshall half-stack w/ aGibson LP Custom. The band is jesusly-loud. Hard-hitting drums w/ double kicks.

The music is pretty much rock, but always has something odd added into it. Slightly progressive at times. I really dig the tone the bassist of Finger Eleven has (even though I am not a fan of the band), hence looking at Lakland. However, some of my favorite records have Spectors being used. I also hear the G&L 2500 has a lot of aggressiveness in a live situation.

There's two considerations...first, hands are not all that big. I can play a MM Stingray 5 for long periods of time without any trouble...if that helps. So, neck comfort would be key in this situation. Second, I can only test 5 string Skylines and the G&L 2500 in the stores. The rest I cannot "try before I buy". What would you suggest?

EDIT: I own an Eden WT800 w/ D410XLT cab. If that helps any....
  2. The Euro LX 5.

Do it.
  3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i find the MM5 to have more comfortable neck than any other 5 i've tried.
  4. Sadowsky. Out of that list, Lakland.

Edit: Saw that you use Eden. Lakland->Eden is monster cool. This, and the neck profiles are pretty slim.
  5. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I tested a 55-02 and I dig the neck, and I hear the 55-94 neck is even nicer. Not to mention the sound.

I'm ordering a 55-94 (pending availability). Hopefully the maple neck and perhaps even the SD pickups to give it more bite. I'm going to try and get a teal sunburst or transparent blueish one...

Thank you all!