Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help on country

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tye2k3, Jun 20, 2003.

1. tye2k3

tye2k3

Jan 3, 2003
    Hi, I haven't been really playing the bass for too long, about 4 months. I've been playing in an orchestra type band at school, today I'm getting my first sense of actuall playing, I'm playing along with some country. Can anyone give me a few lines that go well with country music, old country and newer stuff. Thanks

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Older country is easy. The most basic country bass line is playing the root of the chord on beat 1 and the fifth of the chord on beat 3. In other words, an "oom-pah" bass line.

In modern country you might hear almost anything, a lot of rock and roll lines get used.

3. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Old country tunes are a real good start for playing bass! You best bet is to pickout the notes by ear and learn a few of the "classics" Youll notice alot of the older songs use the same chords/rhythms/positions. Goodluck!

Oh yeah...

G---------------------------------------
    D---5-----5-----5-----5------4-5--------
    A------5-----5-----5-----5-7------------
    E---------------------------------------

and...

G-----------------------------------------
    D------------------5----------------------
    A----------5---7-------7---5--------------
    E--3---7-----------------------7---3------

Those are some very basic lines that you can try for fun :)

Joe

4. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    Are there any good tab sites that i can find classic country,honky tonk bass lines?hank williams,patsy cline,etc.