Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help on deciding.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Jun 28, 2001.

1. OK, I've recently decided to buy a Crate BX50DLX 50W 1x12 Combo with Effects. But it's only a 50 watt, and I hear a lot of people talk about 300 watts. Then again, it has effects with it. Agh! Somebody help me. Anybody who knows of a better amp for under $1000, please, help! Thanks!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you play rock/blues or anything else that requires an electric guitar and drums, you will be left wanting. A 50 watt bass amp is probably underpowered for a band setting. Some say you need 100W, others say 300. It really depends on the amp. You can get a Nemesis NC 210P for about $600 new ( try http://www.basscentral.com ) These amps sound very good and are LOUD!!! they are 200 watts (or 225 depending on who you ask) In that same price range, you might consider a Carvin 210 redeye combo (I think you can get about 350 watts or so out of it without an extension cabinet) or a GK 400RB 210 combo. (150 watts) For a little less, try one of Carvin's 115 combos. (100 or 200 watts depending on model) They are very servicable and will give you more power.

Consider buying used. You can get more for your money. With SS amps (that's solid state or no tubes), used usually isn't that big of a deal. If it is quiet and sounds OK, it probably is. My rule when buying any electronic componant is "smell it!!" Yep. Take a biff wiff. IC boards in SS amps are made of materials that offer a nice burnt smell if they over heat. That smell tends to linger. If it smells sort of burnt, move on in your search. Trust your senses. If it sounds ok, smells ok and looks ok, it is probably ok.

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    man there are a ton of options for under 1000 dollars. if you can afford to spend right at 1000, i'd get either a GK 400rb or Hartke 4000 head, and either a fender, sunn, carvin, peavy, genz benz, or nemesis 4x10t. check www.riksmusic.com for nemesis.

there are a ton of combos for under 1000 bux...time to hit mars/guitar center/sam ash and play alot of stuff. follow your ears.

4. Used amps on e-bay,
    bassgear.com, harmony central, etc...
    A rule of thumb is a dollar a watt or less.
    For instance, you should be able to find a good condition SWR SM400-S (500 watts) for $500 or less.

5. Thanks guys. That helps a whole lot.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead ... don't even dream about anything else.