Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help on decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azsfcsh, Nov 15, 2005.

1. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Well, i have two offers that i like, but im not sure on which to get. First off, im looking for a different cabinet than what i have. So when i went into a local shop, not guitar center, i found out that they were blowing out eden nemisis cabinets. I noticed that they had an 8x10" there, and just randomly asked how much it was. They are selling it for $600, and it is brand new. I dont know much about these cabinets, but it is definatly the same weight or lighter than my swr wm's 4x10". The seccond offer that i have is to get an Ampeg SVT-II non pro, that is in non working condition, with an Ampeg 8x10, that needs tolex and casters. Not sure what is wrong with the amp, but it might be the transformers. The guy said that the worst case senario is that it would cost around $300 to fix. How much would you think it would cost to fix it? Also what is the better deal? My preferences in music go from rock to jazz, and i usually play through a schecter 4 string bass, and sometimes my peavey fury 6, so the amp/cabinet has to be able to handle the low B. Thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No way to know for sure how much a repair on that Ampeg head might be without getting it on a tech bench, so if you are concerned about price, walk away from it.

I suggest you rethink your cab choice if you are intending to do jazz. If you walk into a jazz audition with an 8x10, you'll be walking back out right quick . . .

3. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    yes, good point with that, but its just two offers made and both of them were 8x10", other than that, i could possibly find another cabinet later on, like a 2x10 or something like that... but for now, i need some tone that can stick with the amount of volume that i need.

4. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    anyone else have any other ideas on what i should do?