1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help on Genz Benz - Ampeg - SWR or Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Djeetn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    I'm looking to buy a second hand head but I don't know which one is the best buy for the buck, any info would help be gratefully :).

-Genz Benz STM 600 head: 500 dollars.
    -Ampeg SVT 3 Pro Head: 750 dollars.
    -SWR 550 X Head: 500 dollars.
    -Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine head: 850 dollars.

Thank you all in advance!!

2. I dont know the US retail on these but the Streamliner 600 is far in advance of the Ampeg Pro 3. I'd get that! Plus GB will support you.

3. I'd get the Streamliner; it does the classic tube grit sound and it has pretty flexible controls. As stated, GB customer service is about as good as it gets, and all their gear is rock-solid and will last you for ages. In fact, aside from the tubes, I'd dare say that the amp would out-live any other piece of gear you've got. Second to that, I'd recommend any of the other options except the Ampeg. SWR gear is bullet-proof too (I use one of their cabs) and Mesa Boogie amps just have such powerful tone, though it's more typically "solid state".

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Off of that list, definitely the STL 600...

IMO, a better choice on the used market that's in the same power range would be Mesa's M-pulse 600 or G-K's 700rb-II or 1001rb-II... I'd poke around for those if I were shopping for amps...

- georgestrings

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    850 is way too high for the M3 Carbine. It's not far from brand new price. BUT, for a 300 watt amp, it's got alot of balls. +1 Streamliner seems the best "deal" of the bunch.

6. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I'd say the boogie or benz.... ampeg suck and swr meh....ymmv

7. +1

On that list at those prices the streamliner would be the only option for me.

8. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Well out of those choices the STL600 would be my choice. I own it and love it! The only other amp on your list that i've played through is the Mesa. It seemed loud for 300 watts and had a good tone. just too expensive for what it is IMO.