Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help on getting new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, Apr 6, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm thinking about getting a head and cab, but I'm not sure what kind I should get. The band I am in is starting to get bigger and play bigger venues, so I will need at least 350 watts. We play hard rock (Metallica-Deftones cross), but I would like to also use this rig for jazz and funk. I was thinking of Hartke, but I would like to know if there are better ones out there. Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    By the way, I'm not Bill Gates, so I would appreciate heads and cabs in my price range (under $1500 for both (or all three)).

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Bummer. :(

5. Thats a 4x15 right Oyster? What a sound that must make! *drool* How much does that retail for?!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My Carvin RL1018 keeps me happy. In fact, I'll be leaving the house shortly to shake the dance floor for about 800 clubbers, and it doesn't even break a sweat, (only use about 1/2 of it's potential in a building fire coded for 1500). $1300+ shipping for 1000W pushing an 18" + 4x10"; whole rig not recommended for home use).

They also offer a new one I haven't tried but the guys at the Carvin board are squawking about what a beast it is - the RL810 (same head pushing a less transportable 8x10" cab) @ $1200+ shipping. I bet the price will go up since it's very new and hasn't gained a foothold in the market or the price on the RL1018 will go down.

They'll grow with you as you the demands get greater. I think either one will fill about any room you play with bricks of bass.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No, 4x12". :p Retails for... uh, I don't know - it costs more than the head anyways. :eek:

8. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    i say get a hartke head and you can also get a hartke cab but that might be bad
    i have heard that the aluminum speakers are bad dont ask me maybe you should do some research on the cabs and then if they are bad get a differant brand for the cab

9. From www.americanmusical.com

This would be a great Hartke rig:

Hartke 4000 amp (400 watts/4 ohms) $480
    Hartke 810XL cab (800 watts/4 ohms) $900
    total $1380
    But this would be better:

Sansamp Tech 21 Bass DI/Preamp $190
    Mackie 1400i amp (300 watts x 2/8 ohms) $600
    SWR Goliath III (4 x 10", 700 watts) $800
    total $1590
    Good Luck!!!